Option to Overwrite Destination File on Mixdown

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
DJS

Option to Overwrite Destination File on Mixdown

Postby DJS » Sun Dec 14, 2014 03:26

Please can we have the standard Windows file operation procedure when mixdown to a file that already exists in the destination. Overwrite, SaveAs or Cancel. Just not the current failure to write file, requiring full setup of mixdown again, a travel to the destination folder to delete the file, then a close of PMX projects to release the file, etc etc, it is a real bore. 8O

Why not have all file creation operations follow the standard Windows OS rules?
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

charlienyc

Re: Option to Overwrite Destination File on Mixdown

Postby charlienyc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 21:21

agreed. this even happens when you've aborted a previous mixdown. i have given up temporarily and used the 'exclusive filename' option as a workaround.
MassCore v14.0.5 Win10/64 i9-10900 & i9-11900K, Avid S3
3x Horus = 80 In/24 Out @PCM
Native V14 Win10/64 i7-12700K miniDSP UDIO-8, Avid S1 & nob controller
Native V14 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi

RickTarrant

Postby RickTarrant » Wed Jan 07, 2015 00:28

add my Amen to this request.
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 11.0.6 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220

fl

Postby fl » Wed Jan 07, 2015 16:19

As much as I'm inconvenienced by this very thing, I think I can live with it. My feeling is that early on in the development of the program, a decision was made that no operation would ever lead to the inadvertent overwriting or other destruction of any media, ever. Any time I have tried to do something which results in an overwritten file, Pyramix crashes horribly. On the other hand, any time I've had my computer lock up in the middle of a recording, Pyramix will continue to record until such time as I force quit the program, or just hard crash the computer. Then with the assistance of the File Recovery program, I've always been able to reclaim what in any other program would have been a lost take. (And you know how the lost take will always have been the very best one ever.)

The inconvenience of using the unique identifier in the file name is largely transparent within Pyramix, and easily removed, when needed, by a program like Advanced Renamer. Personally, I have enough respect for my lapses into brain-deadness to be reassured by Pyramix's tenacious protection of all recorded work.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

RickTarrant

Postby RickTarrant » Wed Jan 07, 2015 17:33

You make a good case. However, having a question pop up, "are you sure you want to do this thing that you are about to do?" Is pretty good protection. At the same time, I have had those "oh crap, what did I just do?" moments. 8O
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 11.0.6 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220

avi

Postby avi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 01:38

Hi Frank - not quite! Merging failed to implement the most basic of file safety precautions - an "Undo" on hitting "Delete Take (Esc)" after recording!!!
I've seen it done in a live situation where the keyboard is placed somewhere inconvenient... reach up, hit stop, then reach to pick up the keyboard to bring it down and name the take... only hitting "Esc" in error... whoops. There's no "Undo" command, or facility to always store takes until deleting when exiting Pyramid if discarded by the user, etc., nor the most basic "Hey! Are you sure?" dialog box.

The file overwrite issue has pained me many-a-time. I'd like to be able to overwrite, with a dialog box for safety.
(PMX unique ID doesn't help here - most of the rendering I'd be doing when encountering this issue is rendering out WAV's for clients)
Alexander Van Ingen
Six Music Productions
www.sixmp.co.uk

AndrewB

Postby AndrewB » Tue Jan 13, 2015 04:16

fl wrote:... My feeling is that early on in the development of the program, a decision was made that no operation would ever lead to the inadvertent overwriting or other destruction of any media, ever. Any time I have tried to do something which results in an overwritten file, Pyramix crashes horribly. On the other hand, any time I've had my computer lock up in the middle of a recording, Pyramix will continue to record until such time as I force quit the program, or just hard crash the computer. ...I've always been able to reclaim what in any other program would have been a lost take. ...

The inconvenience of using the unique identifier in the file name is largely transparent within Pyramix, and easily removed, when needed, by a program like Advanced Renamer. Personally, I have enough respect for my lapses into brain-deadness to be reassured by Pyramix's tenacious protection of all recorded work.

Good point. However a pop-up is always better than a crash. Also the point may be more directed to mixdown destinations, where overwrite can be useful to keep the growth of shrubs and thicket rather trim. :wink:

DJS

Postby DJS » Wed Jan 14, 2015 22:25

The standard Windows/Computer file save behaviour is the most desirable. It is a huge standard everywhere in the universe. File exists? Save As or Overwrite from a dialog. The dialog is even standard in Windows, they don't have to write anything, all handled by the OS.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia