Automatic Clip-Splitting with optional Crossfades

Self-explained! ;-)
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

Automatic Clip-Splitting with optional Crossfades

Postby SoundKlang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 09:06

When cleaning recorded tracks, often a Gate is used. But Gates do not always deliver optimum results. For better results the work can be done manually, which allows to define the exact position and amount of level reduction individually.

It would be a real timesaver if Pyramix would offer a functionality which has some of the typical parameters of an audio gate, but does not affect the audio stream. Instead it automatically splits a clip at the positions were an audio gate would close and/or open and applies a definable clip gain value for the clips where an audio gate would be closed (and/or opened).

An additional option to automatically place crossfades across the splits would be needed.

Ideally, this functionality will split the clips of one or more tracks (according to selected range or clips) while the sourcetrack or -tracks for the "gate" are chosen by the user. For example for microphone recordings with a main microphone and a room microphone, the input for the "gate" would be the signal from the main microphone only, while the splits need to be applied to the signals from the room microphone as well.

With such a functionality in Pyramix all the user would have to do is to fine-adjust the exact position of the splits and the clip-gain values. This would be very useful for manual levelling, too.
SoundKlang

Re: Automatic Clip-Splitting with optional Crossfades

Postby J.Wajer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:30

I do this all the time using a combination of keyboardshortcuts, macro's and of course Quickkeys which allows me to enter numerical values in the gain field. What I made was a macro that splits, crosses and gains a selection of clips. Is that what you are looking for? If so...it is possible!
...Gracefully Ignored...
J.Wajer

Postby SoundKlang » Tue Apr 08, 2014 14:43

Please, yes! Would you mind describing how to configure such a macro?
SoundKlang

Postby J.Wajer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 15:42

Sure. All can be accomplished within PMX, except numerical entries. For that you need a macromaker such as Quickeys.

First, you need to combine several shortcuts into one macro. Shortcuts you need:

• Edit-Split
  • Clips-XFade-XFade default

If you haven't set a default X Fade, please set one in the fade editor.

Make a Macro combining the abovementioned commands. Assign a strange keyboard command to this Macro, one you might never use. I have assigned plenty Ctrl-Alt-Shift combinations i never use.

Next go to Quickeys, make a macro using the PMX-Macro. Add to the Quickeys macro the PMX "gain" command (keyboard shortcut 'g'). Set Qk to wait for the dialog to pop up. Let Quickeys type in the value you need (I made two: -9 dB and -18 dB) and let Quickeys type <Enter>.

Done!
...Gracefully Ignored...
J.Wajer

Postby SoundKlang » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:11

Thanks! This will save hours of lifetime.
SoundKlang

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 17:07

Hi,

In fact, each of us have his proper macros, you can take the time to make your own tools, at your convenience.

With Pyramix, you can make.... everything....

except the coffee.

Best regards,

Bernard
pyramix X Native; windows 10 64; GigaByte Z87X-D3H; intel core i5; 16G DDR3; 1 X SSD for system; 1 X SSD for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 500G for backups.
allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Return to Pyramix Suggestions