Monitors VS Monitors (Audio/Computer)

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.

Monitors VS Monitors (Audio/Computer)

Postby Perfect Record » Fri May 31, 2013 02:54

As our work gets more complicated, we turn to larger computer monitors, but bigger the screen, the harder it is to keep the video monitors out of the soundfileld of the monitor speakers. Worse when we consider the center speaker for surround.

Does anyone have a video monitor arrangement that gives you good visibility but a clean shot to the speakers, without causing crazy eyestrain?
Perfect Record

Re: Monitors VS Monitors (Audio/Computer)

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Fri May 31, 2013 14:44

Hi, Perfect,

Setting the screen(s) on the ceiling with an inclination ? more comfortable than it seems, because it may be closer than behind the console ... thus avoiding to look constantly forward, simply lift the head slightly.
( I have almost the same problem)

Best regards,

Bernard
pyramix X Native; windows 7 SP1 64; GigaByte Z87X-D3H; intel core i5; 16G DDR3; 1 X SSD for system; 1 X SSD for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 500G for backups.
allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby Perfect Record » Fri May 31, 2013 18:43

Bernard,

Interesting idea. How big are your monitors? How far away?
Perfect Record

Postby mpdonahue » Fri May 31, 2013 19:19

Preston,
I have a pair of 22' monitors on articulated arms that I can pull down into "Bifocal" position when I'm working in surround. Down low, close and flatter. This puts them out of the way of the speakers and is actually very comfortable for folks like me that end up looking at the keyboard anyway. You can see them on the website.
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com
mpdonahue

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Fri May 31, 2013 21:49

Perfect Record wrote:Interesting idea. How big are your monitors? How far away?

19 "and 22" but I have not yet done so, I plan to do it with articulated supports, to be able to move easily. It will not be a big job, I have very strong beams, and this will be my only solution. :)

Best regards,
Bernard
pyramix X Native; windows 7 SP1 64; GigaByte Z87X-D3H; intel core i5; 16G DDR3; 1 X SSD for system; 1 X SSD for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 500G for backups.
allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby Perfect Record » Sat Jun 01, 2013 18:48

I also wondered about the monitors down low, and angled back around 45º.
Before I start any construction, just wondering if anyone has done this and has any thoughts about eye strain or neck strain?
Perfect Record

Return to The Merging Cellar