CD Text joys...

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Perfect Record

CD Text joys...

Postby Perfect Record » Wed Aug 01, 2012 21:13

I hate to see a CD go out the door without CD text. It always bugs me when I throw a CD in the car player and it says "No Text".

But days like today I realize why I impose a charge on clients to encode CD text.

Waiting 2 days for proper titles. Suggesting that the titles be simplified so they display more logically. Explaining that their CD text isn't some official document that gets registered at the Vatican- it's just a display tool on players. Reminding them that I'm not the one who decided that diacritical marks won't display properly in players.

Graemme

Re: CD Text joys...

Postby Graemme » Sat Aug 04, 2012 07:07

Agreed and to which I will add:

"You told me that you'd put CD-Text on my solo piano CD but when I load the safety master in my Mac, It tells me it's an EP by a Japanese 'Noise' band..." followed by "What kind of operation are you running there?" (Both, unfortunately, true...)

I recently tried to cram both English and French CD-Text on a bird-song CD project with ninety tracks on each disc...the result of which I now keep as a test to see how -spectacularly' any given CD-writing app will blow up when presented with this much data. The CD-Text max. is around 3000 characters per disc. Even if you can fit ninety tracks-worth of data on a disc (I dropped the French text), there was only one out of twelve CD players that could accurately read that much CD-Text without failing in some fashion.

Good Times!
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Sat Aug 04, 2012 08:21

Graemme wrote:Agreed and to which I will add:

"You told me that you'd put CD-Text on my solo piano CD but when I load the safety master in my Mac, It tells me it's an EP by a Japanese 'Noise' band..." followed by "What kind of operation are you running there?" (Both, unfortunately, true...)

I recently tried to cram both English and French CD-Text on a bird-song CD project with ninety tracks on each disc...

You clearly win an award for that one. Your plaque is in the mail. Unfortunately we weren't able to print the entire text of your name...

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Aug 09, 2012 09:28

Perfect Record wrote:Your plaque is in the mail. Unfortunately we weren't able to print the entire text of your name...

As long as the checque clears...
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"