downsample or multi-mixdown

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
tas

downsample or multi-mixdown

Postby tas » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:47

I am mastering a 96k project and am quickly running out of CPU because of some heavy plugins. I have been trying to figure out what is best as a workflow workaround. Stay at 96 and breakdown my processes in 2-3 mixdown steps, or get my source down to 44.1 and work on a single project.
I am more interested in what is technically better, because from an ease of operation viewpoint the latter is clearly better.
PMX 8.0.12 Native, Windows 7 Ultimate, MacPro, Bootcamp 4.0, RME MadiFX

Graemme

Re: downsample or multi-mixdown

Postby Graemme » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:27

Which 'heavy' plug-ins? I ask because in the past I've monitored the Agorithmix LP eq's in a lower quality and then done the final NR mixdown at the highest setting. To answer your question, if I'm doing multiple processing passes and at least one of them is a dynamics processor of any kind, then I stay at the higher sample rate and live with the inconvenience...

To me, non-linear processors like limiters, compressors, dynamic equalizers, etc., sound better at higher sample rates.

These days, I mostly solve the problem with outboard gear, which may include a second PC running plug-ins in real-time...
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

tas

Postby tas » Sun Apr 22, 2012 18:47

I tend to use some specific hardware emulations with Nebula. The other heavy one is Flux elixir on more than two stages. How do you use the other PC? Is there some networking utility I am unaware of for Native Pyramix?

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Mon Apr 23, 2012 06:09

There's no fancy distributed processing feature in Pyramix (yet...) so I just use another PC with an AES/EBU interface, running WaveLab in 'live input' mode, looping a Pyramix bus send / channel return, as if it was an outboard processor. I suppose that I could use the network on these two machines to render the files in non-realtime, after listening through, but most often I just capture in realtime.

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

tas

Postby tas » Tue May 08, 2012 12:38

fairly related to the above, I was wondering what people do regarding to CD mastering?

-place 96 files on a timeline and do the src/dither through the cd image tool
-do src/dither offline and use the 44.1 files on the timeline

what I realise is that the only technical difference is the dithering, I ve read all the threads about the different flavours of it available in pmx but still haven't decided on which is best, or the go to solution for general use