Fanless video card hot

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Perfect Record

Fanless video card hot

Postby Perfect Record » Wed Feb 29, 2012 23:32

I'm running the SpeedFan utility to check operating temps in my machine.

My Radeon 4350 board shows high temps around 52 degrees C. I don't see a good way to add a fan, which kind of defeats the point of using a fanless card.

Has anyone else seen this condition? Have a fix?

phaseboy

Re: Fanless video card hot

Postby phaseboy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 00:08

Hey Preston - I don't understand what your question is. 52 degrees C is a reasonable operating temperature for a graphics card - certainly as a high.

Regards,

Mark
Mark S. Willsher
http://www.pin3hot.com

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Mar 01, 2012 02:01

Agreed...especially for a fanless graphics card, that's probably fine. The manufacturer's spec must exist somewhere, too...

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Mar 01, 2012 03:21

I'll take your word for it. The monitoring utility I'm using shows it as high.

The spec? I'll have to see. The vendor I bought it from didn't have the Asus version, which in the pix seems to have a bigger heat sink. The one version I bought is very light on documentation.

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Mar 15, 2012 07:33

Long ago, I stopped buying clone or 'alternate vendor' cards which had the chipset that I was after. Buy the real thing or be willing to experiment. Those slightly 'cheaper' video cards will often be cheaper because of cost-cutting measures like smaller heat-sinks, short-lifespan fans and capacitors, etc. I'm not saying that's what you've got there, Preston but video cards can be the achille's heal of a Windows system.

Anyway, I'm still not convinced that your's is too hot but if you had a picture of it, the heatsink size/design would be telling.
gb
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Mar 15, 2012 18:34

Graemme wrote:Long ago, I stopped buying clone or 'alternate vendor' cards which had the chipset that I was after. Buy the real thing or be willing to experiment. Those slightly 'cheaper' video cards will often be cheaper because of cost-cutting measures like smaller heat-sinks, short-lifespan fans and capacitors, etc. I'm not saying that's what you've got there, Preston but video cards can be the achille's heal of a Windows system.

Anyway, I'm still not convinced that your's is too hot but if you had a picture of it, the heatsink size/design would be telling.
gb

Graemme,

In this case it wasn't a matter of buying a cheaper card. The recommended 4350 card is very hard to find these days. This was only model that was available from any local vendor. And that vendor was kind of surprised that I was asking specifically for this older model video card.

I'm sure I'll be replacing the card soon. The DVI port is fine, but the video quality from the VGA port is fairly poor. It's sharp, but washed out. That combined with a Samsung monitor that has very strange contrast and color rendering. Between the quirky Samsung monitor and the poor VGA quality there are some UI elements in both Pyramix and Windows that don't show up properly, despite all my tweaking of monitor and display settings. So I'm in the market for new monitors and video card.

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Thu Mar 15, 2012 23:21

Hi perfect,

Have you tryed the HD output of your videocard ?
I use it with my second monitor, a syncmaster with a HD to DVI câble, and I have a very good results...

Best,

bernardo de lavalla
pyramix 10 Native; windows 10 64 Bits; Asrock Z 270 PRO 4; intel core i7 7700 4.20 GHz; 16G DDR4;
1 SSD M2 Nvme for system; 1 SSD M2 Nvme for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 1T. for backups.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Mar 15, 2012 23:30

allemano bernard@neuf.fr wrote:Hi perfect,

Have you tryed the HD output of your videocard ?
I use it with my second monitor, a syncmaster with a HD to DVI câble, and I have a very good results...

Best,

bernardo de lavalla

There are 3 outputs from my card: DVI, HDMI & VGA.

If I use the DVI, then the HDMI doesn't work. I'm using dual monitors, so I'm connected to both the DVI and HDMI.

BTW, there is no information about whether the DVI and HDMI should both work at the same time. The people who sold me the card said that all 3 should work.

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Fri Mar 16, 2012 18:32

Hi, Perfect,

3 monitors don't work with this kind of GC (I have the same: sapphire ati radeon hd 4350)
I'm looking for informations about compatibility between HDMI and DVI outputs.
First, it seems you must have to "verify if you have the ultimate drivers", :lol: and you must configure it in the catalyst center.
Personally, I don't use it, because it's heavy. I have tried it and it was fine, but I have not gained much.
A technician said me : "it's possible" 8-)

Well, I look for more information...

Bernardo de...
pyramix 10 Native; windows 10 64 Bits; Asrock Z 270 PRO 4; intel core i7 7700 4.20 GHz; 16G DDR4;
1 SSD M2 Nvme for system; 1 SSD M2 Nvme for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 1T. for backups.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Fri Mar 16, 2012 20:29

allemano bernard@neuf.fr wrote:Hi, Perfect,

3 monitors don't work with this kind of GC (I have the same: sapphire ati radeon hd 4350)
I'm looking for informations about compatibility between HDMI and DVI outputs.
First, it seems you must have to "verify if you have the ultimate drivers", :lol: and you must configure it in the catalyst center.
Personally, I don't use it, because it's heavy. I have tried it and it was fine, but I have not gained much.
A technician said me : "it's possible" 8-)

Well, I look for more information...

Bernardo de...

I easily installed the latest drivers, and everything is fine. So far, every monitor I've plugged in configured itself, even my HD TV set. But I do want to try a better card, or find a card with 2 DVI outputs which is compatible with Pyramix.

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Thu Mar 22, 2012 14:32

If I use the DVI, then the HDMI doesn't work. I'm using dual monitors, so I'm connected to both the DVI and HDMI.

BTW, there is no information about whether the DVI and HDMI should both work at the same time. The people who sold me the card said that all 3 should work.Perfect Record

It's not a three head card, so it won't work with the three monitors. But it works with DVI and HDMI on the same card, in this case the VGA won't work. To have video displayed in fullscreen in theater mode, you'll have one display, either VGA or DVI and the HDMI to LCD connection. You need to open the Catalyst and allow it to detect your HDMI device.

To have two computer displays and an output to an LCD you need two cards. On card one you may have a DVI and a VGA display and on the second card you'll have either VGA or DVI computer display and use the HDMI for the output to the LCD display or TV.
This second card needs to be set to enable theater mode in extended mode in the Catalyst, this way any video that plays in any Dshow enabled media player will be output in fullscreen to the LCD. THis is valid for DS Video Player, WIN media player,VCube software only versions etc. Moving the video player to other computer displays that are not in the second card will stop the output to the LCD.

I have two silent ASUS Radeon 4350 based and works like this. Two DVI's and one LCD using HDMI.I first had a massive 4 DVI card that was noisy and resource eating and I replaced it for this two tiny cards and works fine.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Fri Mar 23, 2012 13:50

I have two silent ASUS Radeon 4350

Hi, Dom Paulo,

just a question : you work with two graphic cards, two Mykerinos, and Catalist control center without any problem ?

I have uninstalled the Catalist because it's so heavy. Well, it's true, I'm working on Vista, but I'm curious to know your trick.

Many thanks :D

Dom bernardo de Lavalla

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Fri Mar 23, 2012 21:55

Hi Bernardo,

I don´t have any trick. It just works :) . The video cards are tiny, silent cards, so I use them normally. I use the Catalyst to be able to have the 3d screen output in fullscreen (HDMI) without the need to drag the player window there. In my case is VCube XE, but it also works with DS video player window, WM player etc. When I don´t have any picture, I ususally drag the Meter Bridge there or a sound analysis plugin. Not to impress clients, but to have fun myself :)

So it´s set and forget, I don´t notice that the Catalyst is doing any interference in Pyramix. At least not more than the Matrox Parhelias APVe I used to have before. I get the same white screens as everybody else, so....

I´m running XP SP3 here, didn´t move to 7 yet. I was waiting for Pyramix to be 64 bit, but I better forget about that, as the Mykerinos won´t be supported in 64 bit OS.

Here is the link to the card I´m using:

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_ ... ENTDI1GD2/
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:48

Hi, Dom Paulo,

Thank's for the answer and the technical details :)

I have the same card (sapphire ati radeon HD4350 1 Gb DDR2) so, I think it's beacause I work with the MYK X30 (PCIe) :)

Best,

Dom Bernardo de Lavalla

jtaylor1477

Postby jtaylor1477 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:52

well i use to add some cooling fan for my video card to prevent damage.. or have it on a much cooler place.