Winclone is back!

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.

Winclone is back!

Postby fl » Wed Feb 29, 2012 00:41

For the Boot Campers in the crowd, some happy news.

Winclone has been resurrected and version 3.0 is now available for $20

http://twocanoes.com/winclone.php

Although officially, it supports Windows 7 only, as long as you're not changing your partition layout from the standard Boot Camp scheme: one Mac partition, one Windows partition per disk, it works with XP as well.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.0.4/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.122
fl

Re: Winclone is back!

Postby johndsadams » Wed Nov 07, 2012 17:31

Is there an issue with Winclone 2.3.1 that I'm not aware of? I have been using it to image my Win7 Bootcamp partition for quite some time with no obvious issues.

-John
John D.S. Adams
Stonehouse Sound
http://www.stonehousesound.com
johndsadams

Postby fl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 18:04

The new version offers some improvements: easier method for changing the Windows partition's size, improved tools for transferring a Bootcamp partition to a new drive, some capability for transferring a Bootcamp partition to a different computer. In addition, semi-regular webcasts are being provided to instruct users on the nuances of partition control and transfer. There is an active support forum with regular participation from the developer. The current version is 3.5.

Apart from the Paragon utilities, this is the primary backup/transfer/partition re-sizing tool for Bootcamp users. I felt it was worth the $20 to help get this useful utility back on its feet, especially given the number of times it's saved my bacon.

Of course the whole future (or lack) of Firewire availability will probably mean that any computer upgrade will require a new audio interface with different connectivity, bringing into question, once again, the wisdom of the Bootcamp route to Pyramix.
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
fl

Postby johndsadams » Wed Nov 07, 2012 20:58

Thanks for the info, Frank. I'll check out their videos and look ito the functionality of v3.5 a bit more to see if it will provide me with extras that I will use. I am suffering from a Bootcamp partition that is too small and was wondering how I might go about increasing it without risking a system catatrophe! I'm running Win7 (64 bit on my MacPro) and have been using its built in backup control panel which seems to allow for disk image restore. I haven't had a need to ever use it (knock on wood) so it's not a tested feature in my experience.

I know what you mean with changing hardware and interconnects. PCs will have the same issues. One will just have to think about hub solutions which will allow whatever flavour of interconnect to whatever other interconnect (eg. thunderbolt to firewire). I still think Bootcamp is a viable route to PMX.

-John
John D.S. Adams
Stonehouse Sound
http://www.stonehousesound.com
johndsadams

Postby fl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 22:22

johndsadams wrote:Thanks for the info, Frank. I'll check out their videos and look ito the functionality of v3.5 a bit more to see if it will provide me with extras that I will use. I am suffering from a Bootcamp partition that is too small and was wondering how I might go about increasing it without risking a system catatrophe!

Here is a link to a tutorial to do just that: https://www.twocanoes.com/support/wincl ... h-winclone

Note the many exhortations to make sure you have a file based backup in addition to your Winclone image. In addition, it's probably a good idea to run a full scan with dskchk in Windows prior to making your Winclone image, just to make sure no disk or file errors corrupt your image maiming it for any restoration purpose. Note as well that even if you are planning on creating a larger Bootcamp partition, you first need to shrink your Winclone image to its smallest size - this is the only way you can expand it to the new size later.

johndsadams wrote:I'm running Win7 (64 bit on my MacPro) and have been using its built in backup control panel which seems to allow for disk image restore. I haven't had a need to ever use it (knock on wood) so it's not a tested feature in my experience.

I've never used it either, although I'm still on XP. Any experiments I tried with what's available there were less than satisfying. I think it relies on recreating the state of things from the structure of a saved Registry file, but I don't think it creates an image of the partition that contains restore-able backups of files that may have become damaged or deleted subsequent to the backup. On the other hand, I have restored from Winclone images many, many times in the last six years.

I've also been using a backup utility called BounceBack Ultimate for making file based backups of my Windows partitions (in addition to regular Winclone imaging, and also Paragon's free Mac Rescue Kit - yes, three backups, go ahead - call me paranoid). Bounceback may not be the best utility out there, but it's what I have and it makes file based backups just fine (even getting all those invisible system files that a regular file copy might skip). Other folks seem to like Acronis.

johndsadams wrote:I know what you mean with changing hardware and interconnects. PCs will have the same issues. One will just have to think about hub solutions which will allow whatever flavour of interconnect to whatever other interconnect (eg. thunderbolt to firewire). I still think Bootcamp is a viable route to PMX.

Speaking as someone who has held out in the face of much, um, advice to the contrary in this forum, I'm now come to be less sure of that. The information I've seen suggests that an ASIO driven Firewire audio interface (like the RME Fireface 800 we both own) will not function under Windows when connected to a Bootcamped Mac via a TB to FW converter. If that is truly the case, upgrading to a new computer will also require a change in the audio interface, at which point I - like you, I suspect - start to curse violently from the acute pains in the wallet. It always seems to come down to connectors, doesn't it.
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
fl

Return to The Merging Cellar