File transfer fee

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Perfect Record

File transfer fee

Postby Perfect Record » Fri Feb 24, 2012 23:37

A business question:

I've stated including a minimal file transfer fee when sending large refs or DDP files for clients. My costs for high speed internet have risen to about $1600 a year, so I'm trying to defray some of that expense.

Does anyone else charge for this? My fee is much lower than shipping a master via FedEx, especially when sending masters internationally.

Paulo M

Re: File transfer fee

Postby Paulo M » Tue Feb 28, 2012 14:54

Humm, didn't know internet fees were so high in the US. I pay an average of 720 euros per year and that includes TV cable channels, unlimited telephone usage for continental territory and free time conversation during weekends for Europe. Best of all, internet speed is about 24 mbps (with no restrictions in traffic data) which is more than enough for DDP's or large files. Speed can be much higher, in particular if using fibre, but that comes at a price. Even so not as high as you mention.

So basically, I don't charge clients for transfers. I usually use Wetransfer which is also free. For 120 US dollars you can have your own personalized dropbox with your own wallpapers, company logo etc. You get notifications of downloads and it's fast and reliable, never lost a file.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Tue Feb 28, 2012 18:21

When it began in the US, cable was supposed to be a licensed monopoly with local city governments regulating how much the cable companies could charge. That doesn't seem to happen here.

There are only three major companies that operate nearly all the cable systems in the US. And there is no competition where you can choose one company or another. The biggest company in the US has been buying up smaller cable providers for years now, and also purchased a major share of one of the large broadcast TV networks.

The lack of competition, regulation and buying habits of the cable providers keeps our internet fees rising and rising here.

phaseboy

Postby phaseboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 22:46

Cable is not the only option in almost all cases. Depending on where you are located there can be many options. Personally I pay $30/month for in excess of 30Mbps symmetrical. I'm certainly on the other extreme from Preston, but $1600/year seems extreme.

Back to the original question though - I don't charge clients for this.

M
Mark S. Willsher
http://www.pin3hot.com