My low-budget video-post workflow

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
tas

My low-budget video-post workflow

Postby tas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 18:28

Just some tips in case anyone still works with the DS player with material coming from Final Cut. It took me some while to work some things out so it might save someone else some time.

- AAF: it used to be a problem because I had to do cumbersome conversions through Soundtrack Pro (pure evil). The good news is that now 'Automatic Duck' - the AAF export plugin is free, and so far the import works fine
- Avi: The other problem is to get an Avi that is workable and works in PMX. What I have found to be best so far is to have the editor export an mpeg with H264 encoding. Then I will have it converted to Avi, either with the 'Pazera Free Converter' or with MovToAvi (which is not free). There I found that the H264 codec yields the smallest file. PMX still struggles a bit with the playback, so it may be worth trying other codec conversions out, which I haven't done yet.

The video does not flow perfectly but it is a workable solution. Feel free to chip in with improvements or thoughts.
PMX 8.0.12 Native, Windows 7 Ultimate, MacPro, Bootcamp 4.0, RME MadiFX

Mario

Re: My low-budget video-post workflow

Postby Mario » Thu Feb 09, 2012 01:40

Hi tas,

I haven´t done this, but H.264 or any other interframe codec is more heavy on the CPU side than intraframe codecs.
Why don´t you try DV codec, it will be more stress on the hard disk, but the cpu will be smooth.
Also, use separte hard disks, for the OS, the audio and the video

hope this can help

regards

J.Wajer

Postby J.Wajer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:40

^ This.

you shouldn't use decode-hungry codecs like H-264 at all. Try a DV codec or any other codec that is less stressfull on the processor. Rule of thumb: compression is inversely proportional to the playback performance. DS-Player plays MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 best at low compression rates.
...Gracefully Ignored...

tas

Postby tas » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:53

Hello,

do you mean the FCP export side or the AVI conversion? Because I tried other exports, both straight AVI and MPG to convert afterwards, but the DS player would not play them at all. Thats how I ended up with H264...

edit: I do have all the recommended codecs installed

J.Wajer

Postby J.Wajer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:08

In my time (Before VCube-HD) I converted all vids to MPEG-1 Videorate 3k-8k, no audio. Worked flawless. for MEPG-1 you dont need a codec.
...Gracefully Ignored...

tas

Postby tas » Fri Feb 17, 2012 18:17

I followed your guidelines. I got an MPEG-1 version that was extremely bad quality picture and small for some reason, but it did play back with the DS player. I then asked for MPEG-2 but this is not played back, not sure why.