Another popular DAW

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Perfect Record

Another popular DAW

Postby Perfect Record » Tue Jan 24, 2012 03:25

For years I turned away projects because I didn't have Pro Tools in the studio. I finally broke down and bought PT.

After a couple weeks working with it, I have to wonder. Why is it that they have at least 4 different selection modes, a couple of sub-modes for selection. 4 different edit modes, and I still can't edit as quickly or accurately as Pyramix, where you basically do everything with one cursor and a couple modifier keys? Even zooming and navigating are klunky. I watch seasoned PT users zoom entirely off their project. Don't get me wrong, there are some good points. Give me a couple minutes and I'll think of them.

I wonder how this ended up being the worlds most popular workstation. I also wonder how my country elected the president we had before President Obama... twice.

aomahana

Re: Another popular DAW

Postby aomahana » Tue Jan 24, 2012 07:36

Yes, I did the same a couple of years ago.
I installed Protools only to import and export Protools sessions.

After importing a Protools Session, I transfer and work on it in Pyramix.

There are pros and cons with all DAWs, so I wont get into that.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Tue Jan 24, 2012 08:38

aomahana wrote:
...There are pros and cons with all DAWs, so I wont get into that.

I agree completely about that, but PT has so many amazing shortcomings. How did it become so widely used?

As Graemme says, "friends don't let friends drive Pro Tools."

J.Wajer

Postby J.Wajer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:12

Perfect Record wrote:
aomahana wrote:
...There are pros and cons with all DAWs, so I wont get into that.

I agree completely about that, but PT has so many amazing shortcomings. How did it become so widely used?

As Graemme says, "friends don't let friends drive Pro Tools."

1. ProTools Free came out at the right moment in history.
2. Cracked versions have always been released.
3. Large discount for Students. Both Mac and Digidesign Hard- and software go for ridiculously low prices for students/uni's all around the globe
4. Digidesign simply pushed the rest away.
...Gracefully Ignored...

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:19

Hi, Perfect and all,

in France, it became a "classic": an artist calls you on the phone. he wants to record He asks you if you have PT. :roll: If you tell him you have better (Pyramix),

he will answer "no" and he "wants" to work on PT. :roll: The worst part of all this is that this "artist" has no competence in DAW, and only follow preconceived ideas as a sheep of Panurge .... :lol:

this is really, really, sad. :D

Best, (with google traduction)

Bernard
pyramix 10 Native; windows 10 64 Bits; Asrock Z 270 PRO 4; intel core i7 7700 4.20 GHz; 16G DDR4;
1 SSD M2 Nvme for system; 1 SSD M2 Nvme for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 1T. for backups.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Tue Jan 24, 2012 18:30

allemano bernard@neuf.fr wrote:Hi, Perfect and all,

in France, it became a "classic": an artist calls you on the phone. he wants to record He asks you if you have PT. :roll: If you tell him you have better (Pyramix),

he will answer "no" and he "wants" to work on PT. :roll: The worst part of all this is that this "artist" has no competence in DAW, and only follow preconceived ideas as a sheep of Panurge .... :lol:

this is really, really, sad. :D

Best, (with google traduction)

Bernard

I get that too. Great story!

For most of my work, I'm able to say no, we don't use Pro Tools- we us a system that's pretty much the standard for classical music, and much better.

BTW, I had to look up the story of the sheep of Panurge. I'd never read that before.

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 18:43

Hi, Perfect,

It comes from a rabelais book : Pantagruel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panurge

in other words, with the sheeps, the first come in a direction, and all the other follow... :lol:

and it becomes a famous and familiar french expression.

Best,

bernard
pyramix 10 Native; windows 10 64 Bits; Asrock Z 270 PRO 4; intel core i7 7700 4.20 GHz; 16G DDR4;
1 SSD M2 Nvme for system; 1 SSD M2 Nvme for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 1T. for backups.

J.Wajer

Postby J.Wajer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 19:45

Panurge? You are forgetting at DD there are at least 80 marketeers for every technician. It is more a matter of persistent advertising, arrogance and bandwidth.
...Gracefully Ignored...

tas

Postby tas » Wed Jan 25, 2012 15:31

maybe we should stick a PT logo on our pyramix to convince those clients.
a different kind of sheep.

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 17:42

Excellent ! it is THE solution ! :lol:

bernard

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Wed Jan 25, 2012 19:13

tas wrote:maybe we should stick a PT logo on our pyramix to convince those clients.
a different kind of sheep.

I was at a meeting of audio professionals from Minneapolis last night. I think I'm going to host a meeting where I demonstrate how Pyramix is a much better editor than Pro Tool will ever be.

I was ranting to a couple of PT users about how silly of a product Pro Tools is.

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 19:18

brothers, a new movement is born :

Merging Anonymous...

:mrgreen:

fl

Postby fl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 08:44

A couple of years ago the local AES section hosted a two day event featuring four panel discussions with some prominent members of the local scene, from the areas of music composition, home studio, music mastering and distribution - who all stated that while they own Pro Tools (for compatibility), they never use it.

I've seen this many times - it's almost like the Emperor's New Clothes: a lot of lip service paid to the "Industry Leader", but when you want to get some actual work done...

Where I'm prone to get testy is when universities and audio schools brag about how they only teach Pro Tools (because nothing else really matters, does it?) when the truth of the matter is that they can't do anything else because they blew their capital acquisition budget for a decade on a couple of Icon consoles and a room full of 002s, and therefore had nothing left over to provide their students any opportunities to explore the alternatives.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 14:05

the worst is when you talk with a seller, if you say that you are using Pyramix, you come across as an original, or a snob. Vendors believe that PT is the best system without ever want to know anything of Pyramix. I feel like talking to deaf ears. So, I hear things like, "Oh, Pyramix is for TV, for radio, but not for studios" Merging done an outstanding job, but against the monopoly AVID has not commercial weight to impose itself effectively as a result, it is for us, individual users, bear the heavy burden of convincing people of his incredible qualities. The number of lost customers because of it ....
But I'm not alone... :)
And I say Pyramix is THE BEST.

Bernard

traduction with google (the "best" for good traduction, like PT for edition) :evil:

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Jan 26, 2012 18:44

It is interesting though, when I talk to PT users, they're interested and fascinated to hear what I can do in Pyramix that they can't in PT.

At an industry meet and greet Tuesday, when I mentioned that PT might not be the worlds best system, I suddenly had 4 PT users asking me to talk about Pyramix. And they were interested in how they could improve their work, or work faster.