Cedar Retouch and Algorithmix Renovator

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Larry Elliott

Cedar Retouch and Algorithmix Renovator

Postby Larry Elliott » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20

I am not wanting for this to become a contest on which is best, but I would be interested to hear from anyone that has used both about relevant points for each package. Application is for "cleaning up" classical concert recordings noises such as coughs, page turns, etc.

Many thanks

Larry

mpdonahue

Re: Cedar Retouch and Algorithmix Renovator

Postby mpdonahue » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:15

Larry,
I have both here and while they both do a good job, Renovator has more control and I often find that there are things that I can remove with renovator that I can not with retouch. The interface of retouch is a little simpler and quicker to use.
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:25

Hi Larry,

I also have and use both. I suggest trying them, as the user interfaces are different enough that one may suit you better than the other. There have been previous threads here about the same topic, too.

Best,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Apr 14, 2011 19:20

I haven't tried to fix coughs yet, but I'm having good luck with iZotope RX for clicks, hum and most thunks. It's pretty cost effective, but I haven't priced the alternatives lately.

Every CD I do takes a trip through RX. Another advantage of doing a final cleanup on RX is that it's usually at the last stage, so I can add their MBit dither on a copy of the file when I'm done. I really like MBit.

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Thu Apr 14, 2011 21:30

Thanks for the comments - most helpful
Larry

fl

Postby fl » Fri Apr 15, 2011 08:22

+1 for RX.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Fri Apr 15, 2011 08:34

While RX is a great value...you don't get the same kind of integration within Pyramix' Render window that Renovator and ReTouch offer. To me, that counts for a lot!

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Fri Apr 15, 2011 18:32

Graemme wrote:While RX is a great value...you don't get the same kind of integration within Pyramix' Render window that Renovator and ReTouch offer. To me, that counts for a lot!

Graemme

About 80% of the time working in an external app works fine for me. I mix down movement by movement, then declick it in RX. There's always enough noise events in every movement where this method works out fine. But you are right- for that isolated couple of noise events, it would be great to take care of it right in the Pyramix project. But I really do like the navigation and display in RX for those records where I'm doing a click or two every minute. While I've never actually counted, I know that there have been a couple records lately with at least 500 click events.

One small advantage of my work method though is that at the end of the project, I end up with a raw capture of all the music, a complete declicked file at 32 bits, and a complete declicked file at 16bits dithered. All three end up in the project archive, and could possibly be re-worked for a re release. Like I said, a small advantage.