File Systems

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
phaseboy

File Systems

Postby phaseboy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 18:17

I was going to post this in one of the recent threads in the general section, but decided to post here.

While I have it on my machines and have used it extensively over the years I find running HFS+ drives on windows with macdrive to be the source of many types of problems mounting files in pyramix - and let's not even talk about copying files from HFS+ disks to NTFS or vice-versa. Whenever possible I always work off NTFS drives.

A lot of the time though I do end up wanting to mount drives on either windows or os x - the downside working in ntfs is that os x can read but not write to it. However I have been using http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/ for a while now and have found it to be really good and mostly "invisible" - much more so than macdrive on the pc side.

I still keep mac drive up to date for those times when I get sent an HFS+ drive, and certainly there are times when you're stuck working off hfs+ for one reason or another, but when I see people running into problems recording on hfs+ drives using the pmf file format - it pains me.

Regards,

Mark
Mark S. Willsher
http://www.pin3hot.com

Graemme

Re: File Systems

Postby Graemme » Tue Mar 22, 2011 18:01

Hi Mark,

I've also been having great success using 'NTFS for Mac'. It just does it's job and doesn't hinder the stability of the Mac it's running on at all. I recently installed Paragon's 'HFS+ Mac' and that allows me complete access to Mac volumes from within Bootcamp. Unlike MacDrive, this actually works without compromising system stability...

Having said that, I still think it's best to work with NTFS-formatted drives when using Pyramix in critical situations.

Best,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Perfect Record

Re: File Systems

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Mar 24, 2011 17:23

A gigabit ethernet network also is a good way of handling most file sharing/swapping/copying issues. At least for the less than 200GB projects I tend to work on.