Record your Varyspeeded Clips

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Paulo M

Record your Varyspeeded Clips

Postby Paulo M » Sat Mar 19, 2011 14:21

I like to create sounds by varyspeeding certain sections of a sound or group of sounds. It creates really interesting effects and is a technique used for ages by many sound designers.

My favourite way of doing it is to use the great Jogwheel on Isis and shuttle or scrub sounds on the Pyramix timeline. You can also use the scrub sliders on transport panels of coarse. The type of effect you create by varyspeeding is just limited by your imagination, source clip(s) and desired result.

However, if you use this techniques in Pyramix or indeed any other DAW (not recommended :) ) you don´t have a way of recording the output in a simple way, as Pyramix and DAW´s in general do not let you scrub/shuttle and record at the same time in normal velocity. The only digital editor that I know could do that(and I did often) was the by then mighty AMS Audiofile.

Of coarse you can always record your ouput to another app or use the Digitising session in Pyramix, but I personnaly find this solutions a bit cumbersome.

The solution I found for this is a simple VST plugin from Voxengo, that records the output of the bus where is inserted and it´s free to use. It even works in Masscore mode, which is great, so my way of working when doing this type of things got really simple and effective. If you want to give it a try: http://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

tomas

Re: Record your Varyspeeded Clips

Postby tomas » Sat Mar 19, 2011 17:38

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely look into the Voxengo method.

For the record, I just wanted to add that you can record varispeed in PMX by running a Digitizing session as a recorder.
I've been using this method:

http://www.merging.com/news/show/newsitem/22

scroll down to TIPS & TRICKS; RECORDING A MIXDOWN IN VARISPEED (not my capitalization)

It takes a bit of work to set up, so I wouldn't call it simple. I'll definitely look into the Voxengo method.

All the best /Tomas