Looking for feedback on this mix

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
jeremyvanslyke

Looking for feedback on this mix

Postby jeremyvanslyke » Tue Feb 08, 2011 09:16

Here is the link: http://soundcloud.com/jeremyvanslyke/bo ... alway-girl

I'm currently applying to the Masters in Sound Recording program at McGill University in Montreal. I'm hoping to submit this mix as part of my application portfolio... I did the live recording, mixed and mastered the track using PMX. I'd love to hear some of your suggestions and make this track as great as possible!

About the track: the Bombadils perform their own arrangement of "Galway Girl" with guitar, fiddle, flute, cahone and double bass plus lead vocal and two female vocalists (also flutist and fiddler.) The entire performance is original with no overdubs.

About the mixing set-up: 27 different plug-ins across 9 tracks (Hall L-R, Vox 1(and flute), Vox 2, Vox 3, Fiddle, Guitar, Bass, Cahone. Pyramix Native Music Pack with TC Powercore... thanks to all that offloaded DSP, my trusty P4 3.2 GHz computer can handle it all without breaking a sweat (32% CPU.) Monitoring on a pair of B&W 600s with QSC amplifier, Merging DUA II D/A and JBL MSC1 Room Mode Correction.

My final mix is due early next week.

Thanks for your help!
Jeremy
Jeremy VanSlyke
Owner / Music Producer at Leaf Music Inc.
4-2526 Agricola Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
Music and Film/TV Post-Production
tel: 902-802-1526
web: leaf-music.ca

Paulo M

Re: Looking for feedback on this mix

Postby Paulo M » Wed Feb 09, 2011 18:26

Hi Jeremy,

first of all, good luck for your university application.

As far as the mix goes:

Although I was probably hearing compression artifacts due to the nature of the streaming medium, I would try to:

1-Add a bit more space to the various instruments, if your original setup (the spaced pair L+R) have room for that or even by playing with diferent reverb settings/some EQ on certain instruments, eg the guitar, flute and fiddle. If all you´re after is just the natural recording of the venue, forget this last part and just tweak the L+R recording against the close mics.

2-The bass and cahone need a bit more definition. They are contributing to some mudyness in the mix without really standing out.

These are my main comments about your recording. It would be interesting to know what your setup was in terms of mics and pres for the recording and also what sort of Powercore plugins did you use in the mix, but also and very importantly in the mastering process.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card