Prism ADA-8

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Perfect Record

Prism ADA-8

Postby Perfect Record » Wed Jan 19, 2011 08:25

Anyone use a Prism ADA-8? Have you encountered a problem not being able to get the audio output from the D-A to unmute?

klaukholm

Re: Prism ADA-8

Postby klaukholm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 17:23

We have the ada8 here.
Do you get meter activity on those incoming channels?
The obvious thing to look for is proper config of the digital input path to the correct output path.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Wed Jan 19, 2011 18:45

It's very odd behavior. The meters work fine, and the audio is normal in the monitor section. Locking is just fine.

When this happens, I hear very low level, distorted audio, as if I'm getting crosstalk or leakage in a relay.

I've had a problem where I sometimes need to power cycle the box to get the audio to un-mute after a sync interruption or power outage. I always assumed it was because I was running on very old firmware. This problem occurred after updating the firmware.

I haven't used this converter in about a year.

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 21:53

I would call prism support, they are VERY good with solving this type of problem.
Graham Boswell has talked me through a situation like this once and he is incredibly helpful. (the phone number to support is in the manual, and they answer ANY time of day - trust me I have once woken up Graham who answers the support phone even from home)

The biggest gripe I have with the ada is how complicated it is when shit happens under pressure.
It help a lot to have reconfigured it a lot, as you start to know the unit pretty well.

You have confirmed that the digital path is routed to the correct analogue path and make sure the other paths are not routed to the same output.

The DA path has to be set to clock of the digital card that receives the input.

Also make sure that ALL the power connections are well seated inside the unit.
I had problems with an ADA8 as well as my euphonix ad's resulting from loose connections inside the box.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Jan 20, 2011 01:25

I've been using the box since 2002, (other than the last 2 years), so I know it pretty well. This is basically their stock store preset for 88K, other than the fact that we run the D-A side off the local clock for better jitter performance. We know it's locked, because the headphone and monitor output work fine.

Like I say, I've been having this muting problem for years. It's way out of warranty. Probably should have sent the box back years ago.

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Thu Jan 20, 2011 07:51

I am pretty sure they will help you regardless of it being out of warranty. Send them a mail atleast. Last time they heled me I am sure mine was also out of warranty, but Prism take the high road on customer service in my experience.
I did have similar problems to yours on a Euphonix AD and that was a ribbon cable that needed to be reseated.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Jan 27, 2011 23:22

klaukholm wrote:I am pretty sure they will help you regardless of it being out of warranty. Send them a mail atleast. Last time they heled me I am sure mine was also out of warranty, but Prism take the high road on customer service in my experience.
I did have similar problems to yours on a Euphonix AD and that was a ribbon cable that needed to be reseated.

They've offered to give me a quote, but the box is 8 years old, and no longer in production. I'll send them the bad board and see what they think.