CD text valid characters

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Perfect Record

CD text valid characters

Postby Perfect Record » Tue Jan 04, 2011 09:00

In the thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7105 we discussed problems with printers (angled) apostrophe in CD text.

Graemme recommended that we stick to ISO 646 character set, which basically includes only the characters that you'd find on an old English language typewriter. I assumed that CD text doesn't support any characters outside of 646, but noticed that the accented á in Janelle Monáe's CD is properly encoded.

I did a quick test in Nero, and found out that pretty much any common accented character will display on the CD player of a 2008 Toyota, including Sharp S (ß). On a 2005 Toyota however all the accented characters appeared as spaces.

Pyramix also seems to be able to encode accented characters.

I'd be willing to make a standard test CD image that people on this list could download, burn and test on their players.

At the end of the day, I'm guessing that using basic ASCII (iso 646 English) characters is the safest option, but it would be interesting to see if there are any new players that can display accented characters.

simonton

Re: CD text valid characters

Postby simonton » Fri Jul 01, 2011 18:37

how far did you come?
i'm mastering a swedish cd with lots of ä, ö, and å's
i was able to enter it in pyramix, but when crosschecking it on a mac (terminal: "drutil cdtext" or "drutil subchannel"), they are being replaced by ?'s.
another bought cd shows the ä in G.F. Händel perfectly.
so at least ä and ö should be possible. but how to enter them, that they work? and what about å?

thanks
simon