Pyramix Monitor Section

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Larry Elliott

Pyramix Monitor Section

Postby Larry Elliott » Tue Oct 26, 2010 22:06

I am wondering how many folk use the software Monitor selector rather than an external selector and volume control. Also does anyone use the mini jack output.

I am trying to minimise the amount of clutter I have on my desk.

Thanks
Larry

allemano bernard@neuf.fr

Re: Pyramix Monitor Section

Postby allemano bernard@neuf.fr » Tue Oct 26, 2010 22:27

Hi,
I use it, but not always...with it I can "manage" my outputs and listen to the medias directly in the media manager, so, I can "organise" my monitoring session.... BUT, :)
I prefer to use a multibus and affect directly my outputs. It's more easy and quickly (for me).
The unique "advantage" with the monitor is for the medias in medias manager, if you have many, many clips, you can listen, choose, and decide quickly. I also use every day the mini jack, it's "noisy" but very usefull when you have to move with your system to record live music, and you dont want to bring all your studio :)
Bernard
pyramix 10 Native; windows 10 64 Bits; Asrock Z 270 PRO 4; intel core i7 7700 4.20 GHz; 16G DDR4;
1 SSD M2 Nvme for system; 1 SSD M2 Nvme for medias; 1 WD Caviar Black 1T. for backups.

avi

Postby avi » Wed Oct 27, 2010 01:12

I use the software monitor quite a lot. You can assign a key shortcut to display/hide it, so it's always very easy to call up.

I tend to do a lot of mixing internally in PMX, but then with external hardware plugged up. If you run several stereo buses in your mixer then you can use the monitor control panel to flick between hearing say, the session mix, the current dry mix, the mix plus reverb and fx, and the final mix after it's gone through (say) a final-stage compressor, or whathaveyou.

I don't tend to use the volume pot in the monitor panel though, I use the physical knob on the preamp as it's sitting close to my right hand anyway!

AVI
Alexander Van Ingen
Six Music Productions
www.sixmp.co.uk

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Wed Oct 27, 2010 01:18

avi wrote:I use the software monitor quite a lot. You can assign a key shortcut to display/hide it, so it's always very easy to call up.

I don't tend to use the volume pot in the monitor panel though, I use the physical knob on the preamp as it's sitting close to my right hand anyway!

AVI

Thank you - can you advise what preamp you use? I am trying to streamline my monitoring system and so any suggestions gratefully received. Currently I have a Crookwood C2, but I no longer need the flexibility of that. Just a feed to speakers and optionally headphones.

Many thanks,
Larry

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Wed Oct 27, 2010 01:25

Hi all,

I´m a user of both functionalities. In the case of the mini jack outs, they vary according to the Mykerinos boards. For example the X50 has a 192 khz converter on the mini jack outs which is much higher than it´s MB5 counterpart. I usually use both, providing I use a balancing unit in between the mini outs and the monitor controller unit/section.

Regarding the Monitor panel, I use the volume knob, controlled by the Isis main knob on top of it´s master strip, but also the externals, from where I can quickly monitor my external sources.

I don´t think the main use of the monitoring section is to source the Media Management though, it´s just one of it´s associated functions.

Since I can also easily switch between my existing busses, soloing or muting any is a breeze. Applications I find is to quickly switch between a pre and post mastering chain, feeds to cue headphone mixes etc. all without touching any controls of busses on Pyramix mixer.

I guess that the use of the monitoring section in Pyramix, varies depending on the availability of an external hardware monitoring solution on not. People mixing in the box without hardware monitor sections will rely on it more often, others will find a more hybrid method. But having the option is always great IMO.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

tim

Postby tim » Wed Oct 27, 2010 03:50

Hi Larry,

I use the Pmix monitor section for virtually every project. And...in terms of minimizing clutter (and maintaining pristine audio) I can't recommend highly enough the Grace M902 "headphone amp" (but it's so much more than a headphone amp). With its "exclusive output" feature, the Grace elegantly controls both stereo monitor speakers and headphones (exclusive from each other, with one press of the large volume button). I haven't heard a better D-A, and the footprint is tiny.

I feed it with the Pmix monitor section, because this makes it easy to switch to mono, and also to "reverse mode" - which I find useful for determining when e.g. piano solo recordings have been centered perfectly (with minimal ping-ponging when reverse is selected). Create a reverse speaker set simply by duplicating your normal speaker set, but switch the channel assigns.

If you work in 5.1, use the M906 instead. I feed the Graces with AES from a Masscore system, but you could use it with Native if you have a Toslink out of your laptop. (Check the Grace booth next week at AES...maybe new stuff?)

Apologies if this post reads like an advert for Grace....but I love his stuff.

Tim Martyn
Tim Martyn
Phoenix Audio
Glen Rock, NJ
www.phoenixaudiollc.com

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Wed Oct 27, 2010 08:57

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Extremely helpful.

Regards,
Larry

avi

Postby avi » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:59

Tim's suggestion of the Grace is a good one, but it's kinda pricey...
For just over half that money you can get a Benchmark DAC1, which I used for a while. The practical issue is that headphones (two outputs) and speakers are controlled by the same volume pot.. My workaround was to have the DAC1 on the desk to hand (it's small), and by resting your hand on the top you can feel a small 3-position switch at the back; it's easy enough to flick it from <1. speakers muted> to <2. speakers controlled by volume pot.> when you want to stick your cans on.
Unfortunately, it's also rather easy to flick it to position <3. speakers at full output level>, which makes you jump the first time you do it and grab the volume knob - which doesn't make any difference of course... You quickly get used to not doing that though!

Currently I'm running a separate DAC and preamp. I can't remember what the preamp is off the top of my head, but it's a selector box affair much like (though it isn't) the Coleman Audio stuff, with separate level control for the main output and the headphones.

AVI
Alexander Van Ingen

Six Music Productions

www.sixmp.co.uk

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Sat Dec 11, 2010 20:37

avi wrote:Tim's suggestion of the Grace is a good one, but it's kinda pricey...

AVI

Kinda pricey...?
About 10 years ago I built a box so I could compare dual fet opamps. It has a clean power supply, a good dual pot, a couple resistors and a socket for the IC under test.

I put that box into service "temporarily" in the editing studio as a monitor controller a decade ago, and it's still there. With an AD 275 it sounds incredible. Had to clean the pot last year. FWIW, the AD 275 sounds quite a bit better than a BB 2604. The box is so simple that there's nothing to goof the sound up.

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Sat Dec 11, 2010 22:54

I use the monitor control for its automatic listenback mute and unmute.
I have thought about getting a number of good xlr pads to pad down the DA output to ballpark volume and use the digital monitor controller to fine tune the volume.

I would like to see a good bass management function. Once that is implemented, I will likely use the PMX controller exclusively.