Hidden tracks at the end of a CD

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Graemme

Hidden tracks at the end of a CD

Postby Graemme » Sun Jun 13, 2010 09:28

Forum member 'Paul' politely asked about how to add a hidden track at the end of a CD. Scatterbrained moderator Graemme accidentally deletes the topic while moving it here (just like the Pyramix mixer, there is no undo in our phpBB forum software...)

So...

Hidden tracks at the end of a CD are quite different than the old trick of placing audio in the pre-gap prior to the first track of a CD. There really is no such thing at the end of a CD, so the only technique that I'm aware of is to add silence after the last 'official' track, followed by your 'hidden' audio and then place the 'end of CD' marker ('AA') like on any other CD. The only thing that ends up being hidden is the entry of this track into the artwork on the CD and it's booklet/cover.

You could always place audio in the pre-gap of any CD track (aka: countdown area). Taken to the extreme, this would allow a CD that played perfectly well in a regular player (albeit with very confusing track accessing), but would result in only silence when ripped into a computer...<insert evil laughter here>.

Graemme (off to the far corner of the classroom...again)
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Professor

Re: Hidden tracks at the end of a CD

Postby Professor » Sun Jun 13, 2010 18:15

only silence when ripped into a computer

Not at all :) Most of grabbers can't see EOT marks and rip from SOT mark to the next SOT mark. So, after ripping such CD, you will have all tracks with audio, but silence at the beginning of the files.
Andrey Subbotin

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Mon Jun 14, 2010 08:23

Since it's not exactly on the radar screen of most of my clients, I haven't asked, but is there a way of putting audio in the pregap in Pyramix?

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Mon Jun 14, 2010 09:39

Yes,
From the bottom of page 24-420 in the user manual:

"Normally a CD begins from the first track which has a 2 second pause. Pyramix allows you to modify this and create
a ghost track; a track before the first track. To accomplish this simply add a CD Index Marker at the beginning of
your ghost track, before the first start marker. You can also edit the pause of the first track then this will create or
move the ghost marker index for you."

You'll end up with an 'Index 0' preceding the first track start marker.

Graemme

Perfect Record wrote:Since it's not exactly on the radar screen of most of my clients, I haven't asked, but is there a way of putting audio in the pregap in Pyramix?
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Mon Jun 14, 2010 09:42

The last time that I did this it worked on the ripper that I used (an old Mac ripper that was used to transfer large libraries of SFX discs,) I think made by Gallery software...

Thanks for setting it straight with 'modern' rippers.

Graemme

Professor wrote:
only silence when ripped into a computer

Not at all :) Most of grabbers can't see EOT marks and rip from SOT mark to the next SOT mark. So, after ripping such CD, you will have all tracks with audio, but silence at the beginning of the files.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096