CDR errors on multiple copies

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Perfect Record

CDR errors on multiple copies

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Mar 28, 2019 20:51

I still have clients who need multiple CD's of projects.

I've noticed that if I'm running a batch of say a dozen discs, that after burning 5 or so CD's that error levels rise. My most recent burner is a New Plextor. (Yes, somebody is branding cheap burners with the Plextor name.)

Perhaps there is a thermal problem that cheap burners have after successive burns. This is a very un-scientific observation, but it has happened several times now. Even when using good blanks. Today, I paused between burns and got very low errors on the next disc. The error levels ramp up near the end of the CD.

Has anyone else observed this?

fl

Re: CDR errors on multiple copies

Postby fl » Fri Mar 29, 2019 17:46

Another possible culprit could be the recordable CD blanks you're using. When you got your drive, was there any specific recommendation for the brand and type of blanks to use? Some newer burners don't work well with older (I'm thinking of gold) disks, and vice versa.

I can understand that you'd like to keep the project "in house" but 50 is a lot when you have to do them one at a time. Perhaps there is a local duplicator who does short runs of burned CDs, such as Accudub here in Toronto, whose prices for this kind of thing are quite reasonable.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

Perfect Record

Re: CDR errors on multiple copies

Postby Perfect Record » Sat Mar 30, 2019 22:06

Frank,

I don't think this is the issue. The drive and blanks are new.
Using either Tayo or Verbatim Data Plus blanks, all purchased within the last 2 months. Drive is 5 months old.

The point is, I'm noting a pattern. Disc 1- errors in the 2-3/second range. Disc 5- errors in the 7-10/sec/avg, with 150 errors max, near the end.