Speeding up searching global libraries: an useful find!

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
J.Wajer

Speeding up searching global libraries: an useful find!

Postby J.Wajer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 09:00

We are always on the lookout for new sound effects. We have our subscriptions, so our libary has over the years steadily grown to a whopping 1 Tb. These files are all stored on a fileserver somewhere on the premise. The associated Global Library database (that is updated reguarly) is now approx 700 Mb. A SFX search over the network always takes 20-30 seconds. And thats unacceptable, thus we inserted 2 TB SSD's in all our machines and copied all SFX files locally, in order to keep SFX search speed at maximum. (3-5 seconds). Bit odd, but works.

But I now know why it takes this long.

When you load a global library it opens and writes to that file! This means the search wont be over until 700 Mb has been transferred through the netwerk! Every search. This explains why every search takes so long.

Now here come the brilliant workaround: copy the global library onto your desktop. Thats all. Your searches have never been faster!!!!

I just wanted to share this with you since it is so obvious I missed it, Maybe you have too.

Cheers,

Jaap!
...Gracefully Ignored...