Mastering for itunes

The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
Forum rules
The "Merging Cellar" is the place where you can share your tasting experiences and discuss everything from technique, artistic matters or even business practices, but not necessarily about Pyramix. Feel free to pick the brains of the talented Merging forum users. Enjoy.
tas

Mastering for itunes

Postby tas » Thu May 08, 2014 10:27

Lets share our thoughts on what practice pyramix users keep for that.

For example do you use the apple tools or the pmx encoder?

Do we really have to keep it down to -1dbfs even if our tp meter gives us the green light at higher peaks?

fl

Re: Mastering for itunes

Postby fl » Thu May 08, 2014 14:58

tas wrote:Do we really have to keep it down to -1dbfs even if our tp meter gives us the green light at higher peaks?

Firstly I thought it was supposed to be -1.5 dBFS - am I wrong there? I believe that the headroom is not for the True Peak condition of an uncompressed file format, but because of the automatic trans-coding of Apple's intake process, to convert PCM material to AAC and MP3, where the risks of generating inter-sample overs are more prevalent.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Graemme

Re: Mastering for itunes

Postby Graemme » Fri May 30, 2014 13:30

The final output level is determined by the MfiT tool's clipping detector...there is no fixed amount of 'headroom' that will work in all cases. I've experienced required attenuation values from 0.5 to 3.5dB...all very programme dependent (as I'd expect...).

TAS, to answer your question, I use Apple's tools, (in non-realtime) running on my Mac laptop. I have the Sonnox realtime codec monitoring tools but I've yet to run the Mac version...I may just get a Mac-mini at some point to check in realtime, switching back and forth with the LPCM output of Pyramix.

Occasionally, I'll do something a little different to an MfiT master, based on what I hear in the encoder's processing, but certainly not as a matter of habit.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"