Merging HAPI and unbalanced signals

Forum to discuss your Pyramix systems, motherboards, RAID arrays, graphic cards, laptops, etc..
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
sub-d0

Merging HAPI and unbalanced signals

Postby sub-d0 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 13:12

Hello to all !

i'm on the way to testing the HAPI and i can't find anywhere informations about unbalanced audio ..
i have a modified ATR102 tape machine, unbalanced IN/OUT and i need to know how the HAPI will behave with this kind of levels and impedances

thanks in advance ,

mpdonahue

Re: Merging HAPI and unbalanced signals

Postby mpdonahue » Mon Jun 22, 2015 22:55

I'd also be interested to know if the electronically balanced outs are cross coupled and floating (Transformer like) that require grounding the unused pin when feeding an unbalanced input. (Cross Coupled outputs also add +6db of gain when unbalanced to maintain unity gain)
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Thu Jun 25, 2015 22:00

I was reminded by Dennis at independent today that an RTFM was in order....
Page 20 of the Horus manual states that the Horus outs are balanced but not floating, so to unbalance just connect pin 1 to gnd and pin 2 to signal. Float pin 3.
For unbalanced inputs always short pin 3 to gnd. (Pin 1)
All the best,
-mark

Mark Donahue

Soundmirror, Inc.

Boston, MA

mark@soundmirror.com

www.soundmirror.com

sub-d0

Postby sub-d0 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 17:22

Thanks a lot Mark for the important details !
just comparing the HAPI DA with the dCS 954 and i must admit that both are similar .. i need to go further into this and comparing the AD/DA with the Forsell MADA2a .
thanks again,

françois