Horus monitoring on location

Forum to discuss your Pyramix systems, motherboards, RAID arrays, graphic cards, laptops, etc..
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Perfect Record

Horus monitoring on location

Postby Perfect Record » Wed Apr 22, 2015 22:31

If you are using a single Horus box on location, and wish to have the Horus on stage, connected via Revenna or MADI, how are you handling playback and monitoring in the control room?

Julian Gough

Re: Horus monitoring on location

Postby Julian Gough » Sat Apr 25, 2015 23:22

I have two Horus units so never tried this but the manual mentions that you can monitor using a secondary audio card via the Audio Bridge.

v9.1 User manual page 262.

One other point, I think this works best when using Masscore Pyramix as oppose to Native.

I hope that helps.

Julian

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Sun Apr 26, 2015 01:36

Although I have not used this, but I know of some folk run an AES line back from the Horus and use a separate DAC for monitoring.

I have not had much success with using an ASIO device for monitoring.
Last edited by Larry Elliott on Sun Apr 26, 2015 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Sun Apr 26, 2015 05:09

Larry Elliott wrote:Although I have not used this, but I know of some folk run an ASE line back from the Horus and use a separate DAC for monitoring.

I have not had much success with using an ASIO device for monitoring.

That's what I was thinking, but it kind of defeats the purpose of either MADI or Ravenna.

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Sun Apr 26, 2015 05:22

I do know that Mark Donahue has used this approach - hopefully he might make a contribution.

pryanic

Postby pryanic » Sun May 03, 2015 21:23

I tried to use secondary audio device for monitoring when horus on stage. I used Saffire 40 FireWire card.
After about 1–1.30 hours of recording I start to hear clics in headphones. Only problem is solved by rebooting pyramix. thereafter it operates correctly about 1–1.30 hour and all again.
I used Pyramix 9 native on notebook (it was about 1 year ago, I dont remember version wich I used).

johanneso

Postby johanneso » Tue Sep 22, 2015 13:58

What I do is I run a double AES cable (stereo cable) with one channel for AES to a SD USBPre 2 which does the monitoring, and use the other line to talkback. Last time I had some clicks but only intermittently in the monitoring.

ljudatervinning

Postby ljudatervinning » Wed Sep 23, 2015 08:10

If you have a second computer on the same network, you can listen to any Ravenna stream in VLC.
When I have the time, I will write a step by step guide, but you can get a god hint by downloading the manual for Directout "Producer". I don't know the effect on latency and sync, if that is not critical, it will work. A cheap alternative might be a raspberry pi with external soundcard.
Pyramix Pro 25th / Ravenna MAD
win10 Pro 1909 / Nvidia RTX 3080, 4 monitors
win10 Pro 1909 / Lenovo P50, 4K

etiefenthaler

Postby etiefenthaler » Sun Sep 27, 2015 19:02

Hi,
Hapi user for remote gigs with reaper + thinkpad 420 .
Sonosax SXes 84 for monitoring and talkback.

I am curious if there is a clean solution for monitoring and talkback over ip.

For organ recording and monitoring in sacristy long cableruns are necessary.

@ ljudatervinning: can you give me a hint how to set up the vlc monitoring on seperate computer? 8O :?:

Tried asio4all yesterday, but did not work because merging asio driver cannot wdm!!
I feel like beeing in stoneage of computerscience. :?

At home I am using mytek 8x192 / hapi and rme aes hdsp 32 -- no ip :wink:

Regards Erich.

Ps. Today wanted to install ravenna virtual soundcard on win 10 - but had no luck - this driver is for win 7...

ljudatervinning

Postby ljudatervinning » Tue Sep 29, 2015 21:37

One way to listen to a Ravenna stream in VLC:

1. Make sure you have a Ravenna stream running.
2. In MT Discovery right click the sending device you want to listen to.
3. In the tab "Session sources" you will se a link to the stream. Copy the link.
4. Open VLC and select File->open network. Paste the link.
5. Done.

etiefenthaler

Postby etiefenthaler » Wed Sep 30, 2015 19:52

:D thanks a lot ljudatervinning :D
Followed you instructions and now monitoring on second computer via VLC player is working fine.
Latency is approx 1 sec. But for monitoring in sacristy this should not be a problem.

I owe you a beer

Erich

ljudatervinning

Postby ljudatervinning » Thu Oct 01, 2015 20:53

Thanks! enjoy! :)

Little tribeca

Postby Little tribeca » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:50

It would be nice that merging either delete this secondary audio device function (or at least tell us is what it can work, at which sample rate...) or just to make it work.

Another solution would be that they develop a simple 1 input and 2 outputs with 1 AES in/out device which works with Ravenna and i think it would be a top selling! I'm sure all of you will go for it as we dream all about this!

Just to have 1 ethernet cable between the cabin and stage :D

of course to buy an Hapi to complete the horus is a good alternative but not for all budget and also takes space.

Please you can do it!

Thanks

Julian Gough

Postby Julian Gough » Fri Oct 02, 2015 13:16

Little tribeca wrote:It would be nice that merging either delete this secondary audio device function (or at least tell us is what it can work, at which sample rate...) or just to make it work.

Another solution would be that they develop a simple 1 input and 2 outputs with 1 AES in/out device which works with Ravenna and i think it would be a top selling! I'm sure all of you will go for it as we dream all about this!

Just to have 1 ethernet cable between the cabin and stage :D

of course to buy an Hapi to complete the horus is a good alternative but not for all budget and also takes space.

etiefenthaler wrote:I am curious if there is a clean solution for monitoring and talkback over ip.

The closest solution is the Direct Out Technologies "Producer.com" unit with the Ravenna option.

http://www.directout.eu/en/products/pro ... .html#allg

As always it comes at a price, considerably more than using a secondary audio device as long as it worked as advertised.

Julian

johanneso

Postby johanneso » Sun Dec 06, 2015 00:21

I really want them to make this product: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=10438

2 mic inputs, talkback controls to different outputs with footswitch possibility
Six outputs (several stereo or surround monitoring)
2 headphone outputs with independent DA and amps
Monitor control
Dekstop form factor like the SPL Crimson or so. This would be perfect for location work, and for many studios as well.