Horus and DMI-8

Forum to discuss your Pyramix systems, motherboards, RAID arrays, graphic cards, laptops, etc..
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
cabraldemello

Re: Horus and DMI-8

Postby cabraldemello » Tue Aug 05, 2014 09:06

klaukholm wrote:I mean that it was our judgement here that the kma133 with the Horus sounds better than the kmd133

We record at various samplerates, most often pcm96, but also DSD or DXD from time to time

Thanks again!

AndrewB

Postby AndrewB » Mon Aug 11, 2014 00:59

cabraldemello wrote:I found out that PMC twotwo series have an AES/EBU input as well and that you can select between L and R. So I guess I could have the main L going through connector 1/2, and select it on one monitor, and the main R channel going through connector 3/4, and then select between 3/4 on the other monitor to have the Right channel.

That might work. (I don't have experience with digital monitors). Regardless of experience, if you understand the basic principal of the AES3 format:
The stream is normally assumed to be stereo. Thus you feed both L and R to both monitors eg AESch1/2. (Keep in mind that you can not split a AES3 digital signal like you would an analogue example).

AES3 (XLR or BNC) consecutive numbered stereo channel (eg 1/2) direct from audio interface to the 1st monitor, and from the digital output of the primary monitor to the second monitor digital input. Either brand of speaker should have some sort of selector to decode the appropriate channel whether L or R.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES3
byte 0: basic control data
byte 1: indicates if the audio stream is stereo, mono or some other combination. - bits 0–3: Indicates the relationship of the two channels; they might be unrelated audio data, a stereo pair, duplicated mono data, music and voice commentary, a stereo sum/difference code.

One can only assume that the Neumann monitors also have some way of selecting the desired channel. We do have PMC analogue speakers and quite like them. We have no experience to give any comparison to Neumann (Klein-Hummel) monitors however.
Last edited by AndrewB on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:12, edited 5 times in total.

AndrewB

Postby AndrewB » Mon Aug 11, 2014 04:25

cabraldemello wrote:By the way, the Neumann DMI-8 will have a Ravenna port, but nobody knows when it will be available. ...

This is interesting. I wouldn't consider the DMI-8 without Ravenna. (We are always looking to streamline our smaller location setups). You could use the Hapi in conjunction with a ravenna equipped DMI-8 for control room monitoring on location or in studio. However that is an expensive monitoring box.

Also keep in mind the economics Klaukholm has mentioned if you wish to expand your channel count.

Also worth noting: If Neumann is implementing Ravenna on such devices, one can only assume that their monitors will also follow suit.
Last edited by AndrewB on Mon Aug 11, 2014 05:22, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewB

Postby AndrewB » Mon Aug 11, 2014 05:19

cabraldemello wrote:... with analog mics I could use the AD8DP Module and record in 256DSD? Apart from the variety of analog mics, of course. ...

Variety of mics is an asset, though if you know what you prefer that is great. If DPA isn't a route you wish to pursue (great mics, but not necessarily top choice for every source) Neumann is also a classical staple. For early music, I don't think I would want to be without the possibility of Schoeps as well.

For interest sake, Schoeps is researching Digital mics. The proposed interface would be IP based Ravenna.
http://ravenna.alcnetworx.com/partners/ ... hoeps.html

cabraldemello wrote:... By the way, is 256DSD available to any DAW or Pyramix only? If Pyramix only, is it available to Pyramix native?

DSD is really only possible on Pyramix Masscore, thought the RAVENNA ASIO & Core Audio Guide does seem to suggest the capability of 8channels of DSD via ASIO driver. We haven't heard much with Sonoma lately, and interface options are limited otherwise.

Even if you are not intending DSD, the premium version of the AD/DA modules tend to spec. better. I'll defer that topic to someone better equipped to discuss the finer details.

Sequoia is compatible with 8x fs (384 kHz) sample rate. Lately it's classical editing ability would rival or surpass any DAW, though currently the mixer doesn't look to be equipped to control Ravenna preamps directly. In this case you would use an Internet browser to control Horus/Hapi remotely.

Pyramix does control Horus preamp gain direct from the mixer strips, and would be very handy in remote/location settings.
Last edited by AndrewB on Tue Aug 12, 2014 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

DJS

Postby DJS » Mon Aug 11, 2014 23:07

AndrewB wrote:Even if you are not intending DSD, the premium version of the AD/DA modules tend to spec. better. I'll defer that topic to someone better equipped to discuss the finer details.

The published specs are the same. Am I missing something?
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

AndrewB

Postby AndrewB » Tue Aug 12, 2014 04:33

DJS wrote:The published specs are the same....

Of course. Every AD and DA card (whether standard or premium version) must meet or exceed the published specification.

It's been suggested on other forums that the cards selected for DSD/DXD/384kHz may test slightly better. Individual test readouts accompany the purchase of each AD8 or DA8 card with serial, date, time, and even internal temperature at the time of measurement (at least they did in our case).

DJS

Postby DJS » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29

AndrewB wrote:It's been suggested on other forums that the cards selected for DSD/DXD/384kHz may test slightly better.

Hmm. Would need evidence to confirm as true.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:17

AndrewB wrote:

Of course. Every AD and DA card (whether standard or premium version) must meet or exceed the published specification.

It's been suggested on other forums that the cards selected for DSD/DXD/384kHz may test slightly better. Individual test readouts accompany the purchase of each AD8 or DA8 card with serial, date, time, and even internal temperature at the time of measurement (at least they did in our case).

Which other forum(s) would this (these) be?
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

klaukholm

Postby klaukholm » Fri Aug 15, 2014 13:18

Graemme wrote:
AndrewB wrote:

Which other forum(s) would this (these) be?

What I was told by someone at merging, possibly Chris, that when testing components, the ones that test best go to the premium boards.
Presumably they have tighter tolerances on the premium components thus getting the results outlined below by Bernhard.
Last edited by klaukholm on Fri Aug 15, 2014 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Fri Aug 15, 2014 13:22

DJS wrote:
AndrewB wrote:Even if you are not intending DSD, the premium version of the AD/DA modules tend to spec. better. I'll defer that topic to someone better equipped to discuss the finer details.

The published specs are the same. Am I missing something?

Premium card measurement benchmarks are 2 dB better in THD+N@20Hz for mic inputs, 4 dB for the line inputs, and 5 dB better in line input CMRR@1 kHz (but not for Mic input where CMRR matters more…)
Benchmarks for all other values are identical for standard and premium.

B.
Last edited by Bernhard Guettler on Mon Sep 01, 2014 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sat Aug 16, 2014 04:56

Thanks for the clarification, Kjetil and Bernhard.

gb
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"