Mastering for iTunes

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Bernhard Guettler

Mastering for iTunes

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Tue Apr 16, 2013 18:22

Hi Wizards out there,

I'm interested to learn, what methods you are currently using when mastering with Pyramix for iTunes. Do you send wav HiRes files (my current method through the label)? Or do you create the iTunes Plus (AAC VBR 256kBit?) yourself? With which software? I'm clueless what options are out there.

Thanks for your input
Cheers
Bernhard

fl

Re: Mastering for iTunes

Postby fl » Tue Apr 16, 2013 21:30

Here in Toronto, we had an AES meeting last fall with George Massenberg, who was talking about how Apple has a longer term strategy about how it is going to handle and eventually market high resolution audio. Essentially, by sending them 96/24 WAV files now, they have the option of releasing them in the AAC format for now, but will also be looking at providing the "better than CD quality" option at some point in the future. Corroboration, of sorts, can be found in this article:
http://www.cultofmac.com/198964/apple-a ... er-report/

I'd say that you should just keep doing what you're doing - send them the best quality files you can, which they will retain, and at some point in the future, the public will have access to them in all their uncompressed glory.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

tim

Postby tim » Wed Apr 17, 2013 01:55

Hi Bernhard,

My understanding is the same - they want only the highest res files you can send them & they will do their own AAC thing...

Best wishes,
Tim Martyn
Phoenix Audio
Glen Rock, NJ
www.phoenixaudiollc.com

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:20

A coupla' things:

Apple will take 32 bit FP files.

Given that it will be delivered to the user at a 44K1 sampling rate, you may want to consider sending them 44K1 / 32 bit FP. Who's to say that Apple's SRC is better than Hepta or anything else?

AAC encoders (like other lossy encoders) will require files with some 'headroom' below 0dBfs. The lower the output bit-rate, the greater this headroom should be. This is most apparent with low crest-factor programme (pop, metal, etc.) and is worth mentioning even if it doesn't directly apply to your needs, Bernhard.

I usually send files that peak at -1dBfs for the 'Mastered for iTunes' service.

Cheers,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Professor

Postby Professor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 15:47

Graemme wrote: Who's to say that Apple's SRC is better than Hepta or anything else?

Apple's SRC has two modes - one of them is really high quality, you can download src applet from apple site http://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/ and check. I write an article about it, it's in Russian, but you easy understand pictures of tests. Google translate is here http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 2F&act=url
Andrey Subbotin

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Fri Apr 19, 2013 08:41

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for the info and the review. The applet only works on a Mac, so doesn't fit my workflow here. I've certainly tried it (I have a MacBook Pro) and prefer the Hepta SRC. By now, I'm used to what Hepta does and doesn't do the audio.

I appreciate you for mentioning SoundCheck in your article. I'd like to see this become the default mode for iTunes...

Regards,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Professor

Postby Professor » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:03