How many Pyramix users ??

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
dcr

How many Pyramix users ??

Postby dcr » Sun Dec 23, 2012 16:20

I have been interested in Pyramix for quite a while. Is there any way to know how many active users of Pyramix exist?? I'm all analog now, but I live in a city where there is a classical conservatory and I'd like to have the highest quality digital available when I make the addition. Is it best to purchase hardware and software together initially?

fl

Re: How many Pyramix users ??

Postby fl » Sun Dec 23, 2012 21:19

dcr wrote:Is there any way to know how many active users of Pyramix exist??

You can get some idea by visiting this forum and some of the location recording discussions on GearSlutz, but really the numbers are only known to Merging and their sales reps. Obviously, there are more Pro Tools users in the world, but then again, popularity is not necessarily a measure of quality, or even of usability for specialized tasks. It's nice to be part of a supportive community, and to not be the lone wolf in the wilderness, but on the other hand it's sometimes a good idea to distinguish yourself from the crowd. It all comes down to whether the tools are appropriate for the tasks before you, and are versatile enough to encompass anything you're likely to encounter. You need to balance the initial financial outlay against the potential for income generation, less any "gotta have it" or "this is for me" aspect of the investment, with what you can afford.

That said, I'm a firm believer in the saying: "Buy cheap and you buy twice." It's better to wait until you can afford what you really want, than it is to settle for "make do" and wind up resenting your tools and their limitations.

dcr wrote:Is it best to purchase hardware and software together initially?

That depends on your budget and requirements. You can't really use software without some means of digitizing audio signals, and an audio interface represents a lot of money sitting there doing very little without the production software to record, edit, mix and master.

In my case, I purchased both at the same time, as I had access to the funds, since I had been planning, and saving up for, the purchase for some time. It's probably not the most technologically advanced set-up, but it has served my clients and me well for several years. If I was starting up now, I'd be looking seriously at the Native Music or Mastering Pack of Pyramix, coupled with an RME UFX, but that advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

dcr

Postby dcr » Sun Dec 23, 2012 22:26

Thanks Frank,

My plans are to obtain a quality product for a stereo mix that I can then take to a mastering suite. So, I am not so interested in the number of tracks I can record at one time, or for mixing inside the box. And, having looked at the different DAWs out there, it seems to me that there are lots of products that offer 'startup' versions, but over the years Merging has concentrated on the high quality end of the spectrum.

If I was starting up now, I'd be looking seriously at the Native Music or Mastering Pack of Pyramix, coupled with an RME UFX, but that advice is worth exactly what you paid for it...

The advice is greatly appreciated.

The reason I had mentioned the purchase of hardware with the software already pre-installed is that it appears that not having to install on my existing machine would be an advantage.

I will read and watch the posts on this forum - it's a great learning tool.

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Mon Dec 24, 2012 18:15

The reason I had mentioned the purchase of hardware with the software already pre-installed is that it appears that not having to install on my existing machine would be an advantage.

Well, that will be a little more expensive than assembling your own computer and install Pyramix. But if you don´t want to do it, I suggest that you buy a turnkey machine from Merging with the software pre-installed.

You can choose between Masscore or Native. If buying the Masscore version, then the Horus converter is the way to go, since the Merging Mykerinos cards are being discontinued and won´t probably be supported in the next release or when Pyramix goes 64 bit.

If going Native, you can buy any other ASIO interface that suits your needs and budget. You can also go for the Horus if you want and connect to the PC via Ravenna using CAT5e/CAT6 and using the Ravenna ASIO drivers. As you mentioned that you need gear to go to mastering facility, this is a top converter that will provide high end conversion quality as well. It comes at a price obviously.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Tue Dec 25, 2012 05:19

It really doesn't matter how many Pyramix users there are. If you want a really good mix engine, and the best music editor buy Pyramix.

Pro Tools will always be more widely used by studios, and pretty much anyone with $500 and a nearby Guitar Center store, but you'll be able to edit circles around those people and turn out a better result using Pyramix.

dcr

Postby dcr » Wed Dec 26, 2012 01:57

I guess it was a poorly stated question on my part, because what I really wanted to find out was 'how much folks that did purchase the product were glad that they now own it'.

It appears from what I've heard (and read) so far is that there are quite a few satisfied users.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Wed Dec 26, 2012 17:43

dcr wrote:I guess it was a poorly stated question on my part, because what I really wanted to find out was 'how much folks that did purchase the product were glad that they now own it'.

It appears from what I've heard (and read) so far is that there are quite a few satisfied users.

There's a producer I work with frequently who is an excellent music editor. You should see the look on his face when we work in a Pro Tools studio and they're unable to make a tricky edit that he'd be able to make in Pyramix in 30 seconds.

Pyramix is a wonderful system for those who require real precision in their editing work. I've never questioned my decision to switch to Pyramix.

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Wed Dec 26, 2012 18:44

Although I favour Pyramix and been a long time user, there are also some simple things that Merging could learn from PT and other DAWs and introduce in Pyramix.

I guess that the opposite is also true :)
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

dcr

Postby dcr » Thu Dec 27, 2012 19:44

There's a producer I work with frequently who is an excellent music editor. You should see the look on his face when we work in a Pro Tools studio and they're unable to make a tricky edit that he'd be able to make in Pyramix in 30 seconds.

Thanks for sharing this Perfect Record. I've seen that look many times before.

To me, this is a very 'telling' experience. I've spent lots of years (30+) in the IT field and I can totally relate to this. All software is not equal. If quite a lot of work is put into a software product or language, it can make a hell of a lot of difference in the end product (to the user).

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Sun Dec 30, 2012 21:33

considering your location, i suggest you find the audio services department at Oberlin College. in fact, if he's okay with it, i will PM you with contact info for a friend of mine on staff there. he has used both PT and Pyramix. i can't say, but he might even have a system for you to see in use.
cheers,
-charlie
2x MassCore v11.0.6 Win7/64 i5-3450
3x Horus for 72 In / 24 out in PCM
Native V11 Win10/64 Xeon 3520 2.67GHz RME HDSP MADI
Native V11 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi, iFi iDSD nano
Native V11 Win10 Bootcamp Mac Mini i5-4278U

dcr

Postby dcr » Wed Jan 02, 2013 00:59

Charlie. I appreciate that. I've only been here a short time and I have seen the Protools studios in Bibbins Hall. But, I wasn't aware that they had any of the Merging products there... only toured the studio and met a few people that one day. Is this the studio you are referring to? Anyways, thanks.
David

ryanjosephmiller

Postby ryanjosephmiller » Wed Jan 02, 2013 23:25

Charlie's friend here! Another Pyramix user in Oberlin!?! I thought I was the only one! We should go to the slow train!

Ryan

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 23:46

thanks for chiming in Ryan!
happy new year :D
2x MassCore v11.0.6 Win7/64 i5-3450
3x Horus for 72 In / 24 out in PCM
Native V11 Win10/64 Xeon 3520 2.67GHz RME HDSP MADI
Native V11 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi, iFi iDSD nano
Native V11 Win10 Bootcamp Mac Mini i5-4278U

dcr