New guy in PMX world

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
DCLR-Records

New guy in PMX world

Postby DCLR-Records » Sat Feb 14, 2004 01:16

Hi guys,
I'm new in this PMX world. :D
Getting my system on next Tuesday.
Woaww I'm looking forward !
But ... a little anxious as well :(
How long did it take for you guys to learn it all ?
( I know sound recording, mixing, etc... in and out but only now (never too late ...) I'm getting into the virtual world of sound.
Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur ! (Friedrich NIETZSCHE)
Paul Sissener Switzerland
www.dclr-records.ch

DCLR-Records

more info

Postby DCLR-Records » Sat Feb 14, 2004 01:27

Well here is some idea about my activity :
Location recording ending up on an "Alesis Masterlink".
Backups on "CD24's" from the Masterlink.
Transfer of these CD24 files into the DAW (well just a laptop actually..)
Mastering, addition of reverb when needed, etc... on the DAW-PMX
and... master-CD burning on the same machine
Sounds crazy ?
Well if anyone has comments, suggestions, advice, etc you're welcome
(PS I'm a maniac of the "sound quality", this is why I suppose I get more and more customers for my recordings : I expect PMX to help me even further in this direction)
:D
www.dclr-records.ch

Silas

Postby Silas » Sat Feb 14, 2004 03:04

Hi DCLR,

Welcome! As you may already know PMX is very deep and therefor has a steep learning curve. Its all worth it because of the powerful ways to manipulate audio with no compromise. It helped me a lot to print out the document called Commands Reference that should be in your docs section of the Merging Technologies folder. It lists every command with its menu location, a description and keyboard shortcuts. Short of a really good manual this helps a lot.

Hope you enjoy the trip :wink:

Best Wishes,
Silas

Rubato

Postby Rubato » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:12

For me learning the basics of PMX took a while but it was all worth it. The pgm is so deep that it seems there is always more PMX can do.

I found one really useful feature was using custom keyboard and the macro feature to put my favorite functions where *I* wanted them on the keyboard. There is so much PMX can do that it's likely that you'll want to customize it for how you want to work. From there, you will have a lot of fun!

ML

Graemme

Re: more info

Postby Graemme » Sat Feb 14, 2004 13:42

Hi DCLR,

Masterlink CD24 files transfer very nicely in to Pyramix at all sample rates/wordlengths (they're just AIFF files).

Why not record to both the Masterlink and Pyramix at the same time? Seems like it would save some time and you did mention that you'll be using it on a laptop.

There are several of us here who use Pyramix on a laptop to do exactly what you are proposing - works just as well as a desktop machine for most things that don't require dual CPUs or more than two Mykerinos cards.

Welcome!

Best,

Graemme

DCLR-Records wrote:Well here is some idea about my activity :
Location recording ending up on an "Alesis Masterlink".
Backups on "CD24's" from the Masterlink.
Transfer of these CD24 files into the DAW (well just a laptop actually..)
Mastering, addition of reverb when needed, etc... on the DAW-PMX
and... master-CD burning on the same machine
Sounds crazy ?
Well if anyone has comments, suggestions, advice, etc you're welcome
(PS I'm a maniac of the "sound quality", this is why I suppose I get more and more customers for my recordings : I expect PMX to help me even further in this direction)
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

DCLR-Records

Postby DCLR-Records » Sun Feb 15, 2004 17:45

Hi

Thanks for your advice..
I'm getting started with PMX on Tuesday.
DCLR is my "label" = Digital Classic Live Records.
By the way my first name is Paul :D
www.dclr-records.ch

Geo

Postby Geo » Mon Feb 16, 2004 17:50

Paul-

It took me about a week of playing with PMX before I would work with a client using it. Then I made sure it wasn't a very complicated project. I came from the Sonic world and do complicated post type editing.

One tip-- I was tempted to go in right away and change the keyboard shortcuts to keys I was familiar with, but I forced myself to learn it the way it was designed. I'm glad I did, the system is enough of its own animal. Now that I know the system well, I have moved around maybe only 5 keys.

After a few weeks you will be flying. Enjoy !!!

DCLR-Records

Postby DCLR-Records » Wed Feb 18, 2004 00:31

Well finally, I got the system today.
And...
after a little introduction from "défi technique", ... it works
or at least I'm able to do some basic work.
But there seems to be a hell of a lot more to learn and that can be done with PMX.
:D :D :D
www.dclr-records.ch

DCLR-Records

Postby DCLR-Records » Fri Feb 20, 2004 03:54

Ooouuupsss.... 8O
I just finished my two first jobs (CD mastering) , but the question strikes my mind :
Should I put Dither on ?
Only on the mixer output ?
Which setting ?
Thanks guys
www.dclr-records.ch

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Fri Feb 20, 2004 06:16

Hi Paul,

In general, dither should be applied any time a wordlength reduction is required. Given that Pyramix is 32 bit floating point throughout it's mixer's 'pipeline', then adding dither at the end - when you are converting back to integer 16 bit - makes sense.

Listen to the different dither and noise-shaping options and let your ears decide. I find these kind of choices to be quite personal and always the subject of much debate...

If your project is 44k1, then you'll use the mixer's dither and I'd start with the 'Acoustic' noise-shaper with triangular dither set to your target wordlength.

Just for fun, :wink: listen to a very natural acoustic instrument decay and change the noise-shape type and see how (if?) the ambience changes or the instrument's decay envelope is affected. I'm sure that you know this stuff already, I'm just suggesting one method of comparison that works for me.

You could also use the 'Quick Convert' wordlength converter in the Media Management window, but that only works on complete files. Still, it's worth the expermentation, in my opinion.

If your project is any sample rate other than 44k1, then when you go to create the CD Image file, you have some choices in the "Generate CD Image" window. Check out the '8th order' and '49th order' noise-shapers found here. I'd be curious to know what you think.

Best Regards,

Graemme

DCLR-Records wrote:Ooouuupsss.... 8O
I just finished my two first jobs (CD mastering) , but the question strikes my mind :
Should I put Dither on ?
Only on the mixer output ?
Which setting ?
Thanks guys
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"