Sync issues with AES inputs @ 96k

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Serge

Sync issues with AES inputs @ 96k

Postby Serge » Thu Apr 05, 2012 21:02

Hello there!
I recently ran into the problem that I had before.
Config: 2x Mykerinos MB-2 with AES (SRC) daughterboards, DP35DP MB, 4GB RAM.
When I am using 96k sampling rate (any 2x or 4x), I get these strange clock issues only on some channels, in pairs. It comes out as full scale pops/clicks 1 sample long, quite irregularly.
It only happens with DB-25 to XLR breakouts (they are high quality, bought from distributor) and it looks like only in main AES connector, as switching to the back connectors via brackets gets rid of all the signs of the problem.
I can switch to the back connectors on some projects, but when I need all 48 inputs, it becomes a real problem.
Nothing like this when I use DB-25 to DB-25 cables, but, unfortunately, I can't use them for everything.
Advice?
Thank you!
S.

Graemme

Re: Sync issues with AES inputs @ 96k

Postby Graemme » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:35

Which version of Pyramix? Which device is the master clock? Which version of the AES/SRC daughtercard? (I or II?)
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Serge

Postby Serge » Sat Apr 07, 2012 18:17

Pyramix 7.1 (same effects from 4.3), clocking from WC (Rosendahl Nanoclocks or Nanosyncs - with equal results), SRC version II.

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Wed Apr 11, 2012 07:14

I recall having similar issues and unfortunately for you, I solved them by not using the first 8 channels (the SRC-equipped ones). This issue was discussed here on the forum a while ago; try a search. I'll look through my logs and see if I actually did discover anything useful back then.

But there is one odd thing that you mention and that's that the cabling apparently has an effect? Please elaborate...further info might help us to point you in the right direction.

Sorry to not be more helpful.

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Serge

Postby Serge » Wed Apr 11, 2012 09:55

Thank you, Graemme!
I will try the search.
Regarding cabling, yes, it does have an effect for some reason. So, I have a set of 6 DB-25 (Yamaha) to DB-25 (Merging) cables that I use regularly now. Standard Mogami digital snake, nothing fancy. I connect it either to the output of the converters or to the AES cards in the Yamaha DM2000 (in latter case using the direct outs from console). In this case it does not matter if we working 1x or 2x sample rate, all is happy. However, when we use more than 24 inputs at 2x Fs, we are forced to use three-way split because there is not enough slots in the mixer: DB-25 (Yamaha) to XLR from pre connects to XLR to DB-25 (Yamaha) into the console, the direct outs from the mixer go into my another set of DB-25 (Merging) to XLR breakouts, here I see the described problem. Again, everything is good if we working at single sample rate.

Thank you again!

Serge