PFL?

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
RKoschnicke

PFL?

Postby RKoschnicke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 17:08

Hello,
when I am using the PMX Mixer instead of an external console I am really missing a simple PFL function (0dB without panning when pressing the solo button). I think it is a very basic function and therefore it should be possible to switch the solo behavior to PFL, but nowhere I can found such an option. I tried a solution with an aux bus without IP and with Prefader, but then I must press at least one additional button to toggle between main sum and aux sum. Has anyone an idea or a better workaround?

Best wishes
Ralf

Perfect Record

Re: PFL?

Postby Perfect Record » Thu Jan 27, 2011 21:56

On the same note, I'm working on a sessions this week where I'd like to have either solo or PFL in the monitor section, while leaving the main outputs, (which the producer is monitoring) unaffected.

gabriel

Postby gabriel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 00:35

Hi Ralf

Regarding PFL: open a new project and select with the wizard the "Mix 8x2 stereo 02 SR Tools Analyse 04 group VCA" project. Configure your output interface within the Monitoring Section. Move the faders of your clip channel to mute, click on the PFL button below and you will see the bars displaying the level pre fader. But you cannot hear anything. That is, because the system does not know where you want to listen to the PFL sound. Activate the AUX A1 on the channel strip of the muted faders, activate ST1 (main) on the AUX strip (just below the AUX fader) and change the source of the Monitoring Section to A1. When you click on A1 PFL of your channel strip, you will listen to the sound pre fader, otherwise post fader.

Good luck
Gabriel

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Fri Jan 28, 2011 02:36

On the same note, I'm working on a sessions this week where I'd like to have either solo or PFL in the monitor section, while leaving the main outputs, (which the producer is monitoring) unaffected.

What do you mean? Isn´t the producer on the same room as you? If he(she) is, there´s no way to achieve that as you both hearing the same monitoring output.

If that´s not the case, then simply assign a diferent pair of outs to both your monitoring and the producer´s output bus. When you PFl or Solo on your selected bus, the other bus does not get affected at all.
The same goes for soloing/pfl strips without affecting musicians cue, just click solo safe on the cue output and strips feeding that out. Soloing/PFL won´t affect cue.
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Fri Jan 28, 2011 09:43

Paulo M wrote:

What do you mean? Isn´t the producer on the same room as you? If he(she) is, there´s no way to achieve that as you both hearing the same monitoring output.

When on location, the producer listens to headphones, while the engineer listens to speakers. When we're in the studio or with a conventional console, we have the producer monitor the 2 out.

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:47

When on location, the producer listens to headphones, while the engineer listens to speakers. When we're in the studio or with a conventional console, we have the producer monitor the 2 out.Perfect Record

Private message

Humm, I thought it would be something like that :) . Suggestion:

Create two stereo mix busses.
Assign all strips to both busses
Assign one pair of outs to your monitoring
Assign a diferent pair straight from the Mixer´s second stereo bus and feed the producer´s headphones/monitoring from there
Select your first stereo bus in the monitoring panel.
Now, all Mute/Solos can be performed without interference in the producers headphones/monitoring

If you want to do your cuts/solos in the strips, do the above but instead feed the producer´s headphones/monitoring from an Aux Bus pair of outs, set the sends to prefade and press Solo Safe on the Aux bus. Then you can Solo/Cut without affecting the producer´s monitoring.

Another easy way is to use a stereo multibus. You just select your own stem on the monitoring panel and do as above. The only drawback of this method is that multibusses still lack a pre fade option, so when doing cut/solos on the strips affects the multibusses out. I´ve been asking this (pre fade) for a loooooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg time to Merging :x
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Fri Jan 28, 2011 22:05

Paulo M wrote:

Assign a diferent pair straight from the Mixer´s second stereo bus and feed the producer´s headphones/monitoring from there
Now, all Mute/Solos can be performed without interference in the producers headphones/monitoring

This is basically what I'm doing by using a 4 stem stereo multibuss, but it's still nowhere near as convenient as hitting the "solo" button on a conventional console. Those times that you want to quickly check to see if a mic is noisy, or check interaction between two mics.

But still, with what you propose, using multiple output busses, I can't hit solo, or mute a mic. Even worse, we print the ref mix while we are recording.

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Sat Jan 29, 2011 13:04

Perfect Record wrote:
Paulo M wrote:

This is basically what I'm doing by using a 4 stem stereo multibuss, but it's still nowhere near as convenient as hitting the "solo" button on a conventional console. Those times that you want to quickly check to see if a mic is noisy, or check interaction between two mics.

But still, with what you propose, using multiple output busses, I can't hit solo, or mute a mic. Even worse, we print the ref mix while we are recording.

Not when you activate 'solo safe' in the ref mix bus. Then you can solo in the monitor bus only. Mute is always destructive, in any console.

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Sun Jan 30, 2011 00:51

Bernhard Guettler wrote:[
Not when you activate 'solo safe' in the ref mix bus. Then you can solo in the monitor bus only. Mute is always destructive, in any console.

I can't find any mention of this in the manual for V5 or V6.