recommended CD Burner

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Paul duGre

recommended CD Burner

Postby Paul duGre » Tue Dec 01, 2009 20:40

I'm wondering if anyone has given up looking for the Samsung SH-S202N recommended by merging, I have found s different Samsung burner the SH-S222A and wondering if anyone has any experience with this drive, or if there is any other drive I should look at.
I am making P.Q. masters on a daily basis and looking for a good solid machine.

Peace and Love from California!
Paul

Graemme

Re: recommended CD Burner

Postby Graemme » Wed Dec 02, 2009 00:33

Hi Paul,

I'm going to be testing the Samsung SH223 model in a few days. In general the Samsung burners have been excellent. Sometimes it takes a firmware update (or two) for them to get everything working properly (CD-Text, etc.) In general they outperform any of the Plextor units, even the ones that Plextor actually made (716, 755, 760, etc.)

Best Regards,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Paul duGre

Postby Paul duGre » Wed Dec 02, 2009 03:21

Thank You Graemme for the good news!
I can wait a few days to hear the news, My old Plextor's are wearing out and the Light-On is hanging in there, I may get as many as 4 of them if they test well.
Is there a good integrity testing software for the Samsung?

Oh Yea!

scott.walker

Postby scott.walker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 23:49

My studio is soon to upgrade to Pyramix, but we find it baffling that the recommended burner is not being manufactured any longer.

So is it now pretty much fact that Plextor's current stuff is junk? Is it even worth trying to find the 700-range burners that Merging suggests?

Just read a rather in-depth review of the Samsung sh-s223f at:

http://www.myce.com/review/Samsung-SH-S ... duction-1/

"CD-R writing quality on the Samsung SH-S223F needs to improve. Most of our burned test discs had high C1 errors and C2 errors were present on the resulting discs."

That makes me worry that going with the latest Samsung isn't our best bet, as we'll be using the drive solely to burn CD Masters.

Does anyone know of any burners that are currently in production that is THE BEST for Pyramix?

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:35

You can still buy the Plextor Premium 2 drive (CD reader/writer only) in Japan and Europe. This is a very good and proven performer with Pyramix. They will cost you more than the current crop of LG, Pioneer, Plextor, Lite-On drives, but will do their job properly and for quite some time. One of my Premium 2 drives has been working since it was new about 4-5 years ago. It still burns discs with a lower error count than anything else. The drive with the closest performance to the Plextor Premium 2 was the Samsung SH202. Basically, it is just as good, but lacks the C1/C2 error checking software that is in PlexTools suite.

That report at MYCE.com on the SH223 was based on the first firmware rev of that drive and as I said before, Samsung usually take a firmware revision (or two) to work out the kinks in their writers. It may well be that the SH223 isn't as good as the SH202 and I intend to find out for myself.

Another unit to consider is the Sony/NEC 'Optiarc' 7240 series. These drives received rave reviews at the MYCE site and I've ordered one (along with the SH223) for testing..we'll see how it fares in a few days.

The Plextor 7xx series drives that you mention are also no longer in production and all of the drives made since the 760A *are* junk...and no longer made by Plextor. Apparently the new Pioneer 118D series are no longer made by Pioneer, but Lite-On.

I'd either get the Plextor Premium 2 or an Eyecote QA-CDX testing system (~$2K) and whichever burner wins my little test later this week.

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

scott.walker

Postby scott.walker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 18:06

Looks like I've got some researching to do! Thanks for keying me into some specific models!

scott.walker

Postby scott.walker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 23:11

Hey Graemme,

Have you gotten a chance to try out the Sony Optiarc drive yet? It seems like it'd be a great option, except that I found many reviewers on Newegg complained of its noisiness. I'm guessing this is just at the higher burn speeds. We won't be planning on burning at anything faster than 2x. Interested to hear what you found!

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Tue Dec 15, 2009 01:19

Hi Scott,

i just installed the Optiarc 7241 drive yesterday. So far so good. Burns made on this drive satisfy my two main criteria:

1) The C1/C2 error rates are consistent within the particular batch of media in use and as compared to my 'reference' Plextor Premium 2 drives.

2) The subcode data, as read back after burning is correct (ISRC, UPC and CD-Text) on the Plextor Premium.

I still need to check how well the Optiarc itself reads back the above-noted subcode data and CD-text.

As far as the noise is concerned, I can't really tell, as the drive is in a machine room with six computers and a bunch of other noise-makers.

Why the 2x burn max. speed? (the slowest the Optiarc will do is 16x in DiscWrite with TY media) Most (if not all) burners are optimized for around 1/2 of the maximum burning speed and these days that's 16x - 24x. It is, by now, a myth that slower burning speeds (1x, 2x) result in a better master. If anything, it's an issue with some CD players that can't accurately read *some* discs burnt at >16x.

Best,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

scott.walker

Postby scott.walker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 00:09

Regarding 2x burn speed: call us old-fashioned or superstitious or what-have-you. :D

I really appreciate all the info you've been able to supply, Graemme! One last thought, though...

The only aspect of looking for a burner that troubles me at this point is how darn cheap they are! Though this is not always the case, if you can find a higher-priced tier on a piece of electronics, you know that you're sacrificing SOME aspect of the experience in the lower tier that those higher-priced items can provide. i.e. You see a one-speed bicycle for $20, you think "Great! This'll take me from here to there!" But then you start riding up hills, etc, and see how the experience can be improved. Hence more expensive, multi-geared bikes.

With audio gear this tends to be the trend (though shoot-outs between high-priced and HIGHEST-priced items seem to point to negligible details...). Thus what worries me, is that seemingly ALL current, well-reviewed burners are within the $40 price range. There doesn't seem to be tiers of quality. Or if there are, it's between the $15 drives and the $30 drives.

This comes to another old-fashioned idea: more money = more quality. It just seems terrifying to me that we'd trust a $25 burner (Sony Optiarc) to create our PMCDs. Am I crazy? Neurotic?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Thu Dec 17, 2009 13:50

scott.walker wrote:...It just seems terrifying to me that we'd trust a $25 burner (Sony Optiarc) to create our PMCDs. Am I crazy? Neurotic?

Hi Scott, you are not crazy but just witnessing a globalized economy, where the people that are in the factory where the machines make your CD-Burner, make $100 a month or less and will never be able to afford many of your CD, which in the long run will disable you from making CD masters... Supporting the local economy is no choice in that case, since nobody in Europe or the US makes CD-Burners AFAIK. Maybe paying $100 more in taxes would make you feel better about the cheap price of today's CD-Burners? Or get an additional carbon certificate...
As far as quality is concerned more expensive does not mean more quality in a global perspective anymore. Actually never has meant it reliably.
If you care that much about the data integrity of your CD premasters you should use the DDP format anyway.
And visit a CD factory and ask them with which speed they read your "by hand engraved" PMCD...you are in for a little surprise :mrgreen: (if they tell you the truth)

Best regards
Bernhard
Last edited by Bernhard Guettler on Thu Dec 17, 2009 23:19, edited 4 times in total.

Paulo M

Postby Paulo M » Thu Dec 17, 2009 14:19

Completely agree Bernhard! It´s seems that Fair Trade implementation is too far away in the future in what regards electronic goods. We live in a world where a few enjoy the output of the work of many. I often think about that when I buy certain items, how is it possible to be so cheap... if I would be able to do it myself, I would charge much more. Sad world we live in...
Best regards,

Paulo M

Pyramix 7.1 Masscore
VCube XE 3.1
MB5 Dual & X50 MADI
Win XP SP3
Intel Q9600/Gigabyte X48 DS5 Motherboard/ASUS 4350 Graphic card

bkaudio

Postby bkaudio » Tue Dec 07, 2010 21:44

Graemme wrote:...
That report at MYCE.com on the SH223 was based on the first firmware rev of that drive and as I said before, Samsung usually take a firmware revision (or two) to work out the kinks in their writers. It may well be that the SH223 isn't as good as the SH202 and I intend to find out for myself.

It's about a year ahead now.
How are your Samsung SH-S223C drives holding up?

I've had some trouble with a drive that wouldn't burn, deleted it and re-installation plus firmware upgrade brought it back.
The upgrade went from SB01 to SB05.
However I've discovered (too late...) that it doesn't write ISRC codes anymore! How ridiculous is that!
I am suspecting the drive, possibly it's firmware version.

Can you tell me the version you are using with the SH223C, if you are still using it at all?

As usual any info and wisdom is greatly apreciated!
Bests, Bastiaan

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Tue Dec 07, 2010 22:45

I've been using the OptiArc 7241 for quite a while with no complaints. I just bought a 7261 for another system...no news on the Samsung, as once the OptiArc 'established' itself, I moved on to other concerns ;->

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

bkaudio

Postby bkaudio » Thu Dec 09, 2010 00:57

Thanks Graemme,
I'll spend some time on Friday trying to fix this ISRC burning issue, if I succeed I'll post the solution.
Otherwise I think I'll dump the Samsungs (two drives with identical behaviour...).

bests, Bastiaan

matbam

Postby matbam » Thu Mar 31, 2011 19:53

Hi guys,

I'm on Windows XP SP2 and running Pyramix 5.1.13 build 174 26.04.2007, and burning with Merging Disc Write 5.1.13 with 3.54.038.01 "Toolkit" Version

I've just bought an amazing brand new Samsung SH-S223C and the first suprise is: when I load back an audio CD burned with Merging's DiscWrite to compare with the original Pmx session, I've noticed that an offset has been created, precisely 704 samples, so it's not... negligeable ;)

Is it something with the S-ATA bus (I used to be in IDE / P-ATA) ? or with the burner's Firmware?

thanks for your help...

Cheers,
Mathieu

edit: I've just made a FW update from "SB04" to "SB06" and the problem is still there...