Dither

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Perfect Record

Dither

Postby Perfect Record » Tue Aug 25, 2009 19:18

Yup, I know this belongs in the suggestion board, and I did post it there, but didn't see any response.

I'd like to see Pyramix offer MBit dither from Izotope.

I'm exporting CD mixes to my Mac, where I have a utility that has MBit, then re-importing back onto Pyramix.

Anyone else had experience with this very nice dither?

phaseboy

Re: Dither

Postby phaseboy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 19:41

Yeah it's great. If you happen to have the izotope ozone plugin (which is great btw) - you can just slap that on the mix bus and add the dither within pyramix that way. Obviously it would be ideal for it to be an option in pyramix, but.... this works :)
Mark S. Willsher
http://www.pin3hot.com

Thomas Grubb

Postby Thomas Grubb » Wed Aug 26, 2009 15:42

The only thing is the mixdown is very slow with version 4 of Ozone, at least on my mass-core system. It's somewhat faster with version 3 though...
Thomas Grubb
manomusica.com
Melbourne

Professor

Postby Professor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 16:48

Thomas Grubb wrote:The only thing is the mixdown is very slow with version 4 of Ozone, at least on my mass-core system. It's somewhat faster with version 3 though...

Workaround - mixdown CD to one long 32-bit BWF file, open it with any program that has MegaBit option (I use IzotopeRX), make conversion to 16 and re-open this new file in the same project with "place at original time code". This remain all CD marks in your project intact. Takes some minutes.
Andrey Subbotin

Silas

Postby Silas » Fri Aug 28, 2009 18:06

Just out of curiosity, do you find the MBit dither superior to POW-r? How so?

Thanks,
Silas
Silas Brown
Legacy Sound
MassCore #1 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i7-8700k, 32 gig Ram, Pyramix V11.1
MassCore #2 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, QuadCore, 16 gig, Pyramix V9
Native - Lenovo Laptop, Windows 7 64-bit, i7, 8 gig, Pyramix V10

Professor

Postby Professor » Fri Aug 28, 2009 18:15

Silas wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you find the MBit dither superior to POW-r? How so?

Thanks,
Silas

Material dependent... Sometimes TPDF better. And I prefer old pyramix "acoustic" most of the time for pop and rock. Just IMO.
Andrey Subbotin

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Fri Aug 28, 2009 20:06

I've used Pow-R for years, and like it very much for classical music- choral music. With business slow, I'm not going to buy Pow-r right now. Better places for my money. I have Pow-r on my Sonic, and used to have it on a Z-Sys EQ box.

I'm very happy with Mbit, and it's in Sample Manager for Mac, for less than $80.

There is a website where you can take a blind test of dither:

http://www.24-96.net/dither/blind_shootout.htm

They compare 20 or so dithers. I took the blind test. I voted for Mbit 1. Pow-R was my second choice.

Silas

Postby Silas » Sat Aug 29, 2009 18:02

Thanks guys. I'll look forward to listening to that link.

-Silas
Silas Brown
Legacy Sound
MassCore #1 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i7-8700k, 32 gig Ram, Pyramix V11.1
MassCore #2 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, QuadCore, 16 gig, Pyramix V9
Native - Lenovo Laptop, Windows 7 64-bit, i7, 8 gig, Pyramix V10

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:22

Also worth checking this link out:
http://audio.rightmark.org/lukin/dither/dither.htm
Pyramix Acoustic NS is relatively close to POW-r 3 judging by these graphs.

The "mistake" of some Dither/NS implementation has been the misinterpretation of the Fletcher-Munson curves. They were once measured for frontal incidence of sound only. But speakers are 30 deg and earphones 90 deg lateral. So Fletcher-Munson does not apply there. Head related transfer function, no linear relation...

That is probably why my ears have a problem with the 9 kHz bump of many "sophisticated" NS algorithms (POW-r 3, MT Acoustic), which IMHO were designed only by looking at the (wrong) graph, the graph of the competition, or by drummers. :)

The best way to design good sounding dither/NS is to forget about F-M and concentrate on listening.

B.