Sadie users

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Martin Atkinson

Sadie users

Postby Martin Atkinson » Thu Jun 13, 2002 21:04

Have any of you people had, or still use SADiE? How did you get on changing over?
I had a Pyramix for evaluation and had a few reservations. I loved the fact that it can do almost anything, but was not so keen on having to remember lots of shortcuts or going though drop down menus. Also there where a few little quirks when importing EDL's and mixers.
You also have to work in a diferent way i.e. you can't have a project with lots of mixers and EDL's.

Pyromanic

new way of working...but better workaround!

Postby Pyromanic » Thu Jun 13, 2002 23:13

Hi,
We used TripleDAT from Creamware before we switched over to Pyramix, and I also used Fairlight and Protools in a bigger Studio.
Yes, you have to switch thinking but isn´t it the same with anything new?
You can e.g. designt your own short cuts and Makros to get your own flow of working, so give it a chance and focus on the high resolution mathematics in the back, they are quite better than Protools I think! 8)
best regards

Pyromanic

benoit

Postby benoit » Fri Jun 14, 2002 08:24

"You also have to work in a diferent way i.e. you can't have a project with lots of mixers and EDL's."

I never worked with SADIE, could you explain?

Benoit

Martin Atkinson

Postby Martin Atkinson » Fri Jun 14, 2002 15:33

When you work in SADiE you create a "project" in which you can create any number of mixers and edl's. So you could have the mixers and edl's for a whole album in 1 project. you can also keep mixers with different settings i.e. EQ Comp etc and therefor run off slightly modified mixes while still being able to go back to an original mix if needed.

The Pyramix mixer is much more flexible than SADiE though.

The other downside of changing platforms is the ammount of projects we have done over the years. These ocasionaly need to be resurrected so we would have to keep our multitrack SADiE system as well as a Pyramix.

Rgds
Martin Atkinson

Bernhard Guettler

Postby Bernhard Guettler » Fri Jun 14, 2002 23:36

You can have different mixers in pyramix, but only one can be open. Any saved or preset mixer can be loaded at any time.

Bernhard

Roland Clarke

Sadie vs Pyramix

Postby Roland Clarke » Fri Jun 14, 2002 23:57

I've been a Sadie user for many years now, and have just ordered my Pyramix system, which is to replace the Sadie. I had the Pyramix in on dem for about a week, and although I barely got to scratch the surface of it, the decision wasn't that hard to make. Pyramix for me is a system that is still growing and already delivering, whereas Sadie is a mature product. I think this is both Sadie's greatest strength and weakness. Sadie has proved to be virtually "bullet proof" in our enviroment, but suffers from being older in concept. With the improvement of Computing power, and plugin architechture Sadie IMHO needs a ground-up rethink.

Sadie systems are also now extremely expensive for serious configurations, and fairly insular in design. Look at the power that Logic Audio offers for less than a £1,000. Apart from editing facilities, and PQ facilities (i.e. DDP support) systems like this have much to offer. Pyramix for me bridges this gap better at a price that leaves my business room to manouver.

Before I finally decided on Pyramix, I took a good look around at the state of play in the current market. Sadie who I greatly admire, and have given me great support in the past, in my opinion don't have a system that is really moving forward, pro-tools, is something I won't subscribe too, and despite repackaging 192khz/24 bit doesn't seem to be going forward, and Sonic seem to have all but pulled out of the market. My decision was made easier. You should check out about importing Sadie projects, maybe a workaround.

Regards

Roland

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sat Jun 15, 2002 04:48

Hi All,

A very important distinction between Sadie and Pyramix is that of the Mixer automation: In Sadie the automation is locked to the sample within the audio clip and in Pyramix it is locked only to timecode.

I took some time to get used to this...<g>

A helpful Pyramix feature in this regard is the EDIT menu command: "Automation Cut/Copy/Paste"

Also, using the Sadie-ish keyboard shortcuts, included with the system, may help.

Regards,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

benoit

Postby benoit » Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:17

"You also have to work in a diferent way i.e. you can't have a project with lots of mixers and EDL's."

Check out pyramix librairies' fonctions - they offer a very transparent & powerfull way to manage multiple edl's versions, mixers & fx's configurations, etc.

Benoit

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Mon Jun 17, 2002 02:05

Hi Benoit,

I agree, but it's not the same as having a separate EDL with it's own markers/PQ flags which is not possible in Pyramix. Sadie's project management (particularly clips and EDLs) is still better, IMO.

Regards,

Graemme

benoit wrote:"You also have to work in a diferent way i.e. you can't have a project with lots of mixers and EDL's."

Check out pyramix librairies' fonctions - they offer a very transparent & powerfull way to manage multiple edl's versions, mixers & fx's configurations, etc.

Benoit
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

Silas

Postby Silas » Fri Sep 20, 2002 17:10

Hello all,

Perhaps this is a dead topic but I have been exploring the Global Library features recently because I needed a way to have multiple "playlists" with independent CD markers, order, spacing etc. As many of you know, this is very easily (drag and drop) accomplished in the Global libraries and is available across every project. The CD markers stay with the edl as it is dragged to and from the library. This is v. 4.0.20 SP2. I'm assuming that it is the same (or better :wink:) in 4.1. Perhaps this addresses some of the features missed in the migration from Sadie to PMX?...if there could possibly be any...

Regards,
Silas

benoit

Postby benoit » Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:16

"I'm assuming that it is the same (or better ;-) ) in 4.1..."

...lots better! ;-)

Benoit

svennevig

Postby svennevig » Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:29

It is better in 4.1
I also think this is better than Sadie. But I have only worked with Sadie for a few projects some years ago, so I may not be the best... :-)

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sat Sep 28, 2002 18:27

Silas wrote:Hello all,

The CD markers stay with the edl as it is dragged to and from the library

Hi Silas,

Do you mean that the PQ markers are 'stored' with the EDL snapshot that you put in the Global Library?

I can't seem to get this to work. Would you be willing to send along your procedure?

Thanks & Regards,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

Silas

Postby Silas » Sun Sep 29, 2002 16:41

Hello Graemme and all,

Oh how embarassing! Thank you for so diplomatically pointing out my false info. At time of writing I could have sworn I accomplished this and apparently my procedure was this: edit entirely too much music featuring the piccolo, drink much wine, go to sleep while holding the ESC key and dream of features that should be in Pyramix. That should do it! My apologies!

Regards,
Silas zzzzzzzzzzz......

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Oct 03, 2002 09:51

Hello Silas,

Now If I hadn't have mentioned this, we would have been forever ignorant of your preferred (and enviable!) "workflow" :wink: :P

I have talked to Dominque about this potential feature and he likes the idea, but I notice that it still ain't done!

Regards,

Graemme

Silas wrote:Hello Graemme and all,

Oh how embarassing! Thank you for so diplomatically pointing out my false info. At time of writing I could have sworn I accomplished this and apparently my procedure was this: edit entirely too much music featuring the piccolo, drink much wine, go to sleep while holding the ESC key and dream of features that should be in Pyramix. That should do it! My apologies!

Regards,
Silas zzzzzzzzzzz......
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096