Recovering damaged PMF Files

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
clewis

Recovering damaged PMF Files

Postby clewis » Wed Sep 06, 2006 00:17

HI All, does anyone know if it is possible to recover a damaged PMF File?

Basically i was recording a live concert (around 22 tracks) and during about 15 mins into the recording pyramix seemd to hang and become un-responsive! I was aware that audio was still passing through and hard drive activity was taking place i.e. it seemed that the audio was still being recorded. At a suitable point during the recording i manage to force quit pyramix and checked the PMF file size was about right. I rebooted the machine and loaded pyramix back up and carried on the recording which went fine from then on. I have since come back to the recording now back at base and tried to locate the first half recording in the media manager and it doesn't see the PMF file, if i browse through windows to the directory i can see the file as a PMF file but pyramix won't open it!!!
Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Christian :(
Christian Lewis

Roland Clarke

Postby Roland Clarke » Wed Sep 06, 2006 03:27

I'm not sure which ver of Pyramix you are using, but on some (5.0? if I remember correctly) you have to load the folder level from one leve above in the mount media dialogue. To achieve this you must first unmount the media drive.

If this doesn't work and you are really looking at a corrupted pmf file, you best contact merging, I believe they can recover.tell you how to recover pmf's.

Regards

Roland

Gerhard

Postby Gerhard » Wed Sep 06, 2006 09:19

Yes I remember Merging prepared a small tool to correct pmf files which are not properly finalised, as in your case.
That tool is not included in the official download area but usually sent by email on request.

Regards,
Gerhard

Pierre-André Aebischer

Postby Pierre-André Aebischer » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:50

Hi Christian,

I will email the PMF Recover tool to you. From what I understand of your problem you should be able to repair the files easily.

Kind regards

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Wed Sep 06, 2006 23:59

Christian,

Please follow the instructions 100%...can't emphasize that enough...

Best,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Bob Holden

Postby Bob Holden » Wed Nov 01, 2006 18:16

Mr. Aebischer,

I have, what appears to be, a similar situation. I had a student recording a very important master class that ran about two hours. In hast, I believe he closed the project before it had a chance to completely finalize. When we load the project we get the message asking if we want to mount the project and then the yellow and black striped clip region. When I look at the file in Windows "My Computer" it appears to be normal and the correct size for the length. Do you think that this software might redeem this recording? If so, I would appreciate receiving a copy.

Kind Regards,

Bob Holden

Pierre-André Aebischer wrote:Hi Christian,

I will email the PMF Recover tool to you. From what I understand of your problem you should be able to repair the files easily.

Kind regards

Pierre-André Aebischer

Postby Pierre-André Aebischer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:03

Hello,

I will send you the file by email. I undertsnad the recording was done in PMF?

Kind regards

charlienyc

PMF file format, etc.

Postby charlienyc » Thu Nov 02, 2006 17:54

Pierre-André Aebischer wrote:I undertsnad the recording was done in PMF?

Is this why Pyramix says PMF files are "recommended" when selecting a recording format? I'm curious what advantages PMF files have over other formats. The ability to recover is definitely a plus! :)

Cheers,
-c

Pierre-André Aebischer

Postby Pierre-André Aebischer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 19:27

Hello,

I make it quick because all this is detailed in V5 User Manual, on pages 90 & 327.

But PMF file size is virtually limitless (compared to the 2/4GB of WAV/BWF/AIF). Because of its 64bit adressing.

PMF is interleaved by blocks, not by samples, so it is more disk efficient.

That said, now WAV/BWF with RIFF64 support (in V5) can also be very large...

(And we also have a recovery tool for WAV / BWF... and SD2!)

Kind regards

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Thu Nov 02, 2006 21:16

Thanks Pierre... I'll get through the rest of the manual soon. :wink:
Cheers,
-c

rjas

Postby rjas » Sat Dec 23, 2006 20:07

Hi Pierre-André,

Would it be possible to make these audio file recovery tools available on the website? I have just suffered the problem described above (Pyramix crashed during recording, the PMF file exists on disk but Pyramix can not read it) but as it is now the night before Christmas Eve I imagine that you will be out of the office for a few days. Fortunately, the file in question is something that I am mastering, not a crucial recording, so I can just do it again. However, other people may not be so lucky, and the Merging team can't be on call 24/365!

Best wishes to all for a restful Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Richard Sutcliffe

rjas

Postby rjas » Fri Nov 30, 2007 14:54

Hi all,

Well, I have another PMF file that Pyramix refuses to recognise in the media manager but I still don't have the PMF repair tool.

Please could some kind soul email it to me? Is there a reason why this tool is not available for download from the Merging website or - better still - included in the Pyramix installer?

Many thanks,
Rich

PS access to the repair tools for other file types (BWF etc) would also be nice! You never know when these things might be needed in the heat of a session...
Richard Sutcliffe

kjetilhd

Postby kjetilhd » Thu Apr 24, 2008 09:49

Mr. Aebischer

I'm also in need of the PMF recovering tool. Recording a live gig I ran into the exact same problem as the others. Pyramix had to close down before I could finelize the take. The files sits on my harddrive, but I can't open them in Media Manager.

I use ver 5.1.13 build 174

I would be very happy to recieve the tool on email.

Best regards,
Kjetil
Kjetil Høidal

Ricardo Ryan
Site Admin

Postby Ricardo Ryan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 13:45

Hi Kjetil,

We will send you the PMF Recoverer.

Note: M. Aebischer is no longer working at Merging since a year ago, he decided to pursue another career.

Regards,
Ricardo

Merging Technologies

huub

Re: Recovering damaged PMF Files

Postby huub » Tue Dec 16, 2008 22:02

Reply to an old thread, but:

I read 'we also have a recovery program for wav' can this recover pyramix BWAV's that are unreadable after powerloss?
Can I get this program?

Thanks
Huub lelieveld
Senior audio engineer
United outside broadcast
Euro Media Group
Hilversum, Netherlands

PMX v8.1
Mykerinos X-30 D, Triple DC MADIO-2 Optical Madi