Go to Pyramix ?

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
mikaël

Go to Pyramix ?

Postby mikaël » Sun Oct 27, 2002 21:35

Hi,

I'm a sound editor/mixer for movies in france since a few years now. I have worked with DD1500 and now since 3/4 years i always work with Pro-tools. I owned a little pro-tools system (LE) and have made a lot of short movies and even a few long ones..
The export to a mix plus system in evey auditorium always worked fine and my system is rock solid under MacOs..but i need more power now..
I wanted to go to Pro-tools HD but i've heard about Pyramix and it looks very nice on the paper..is pyramix really works great ??
It's cheaper and seems very helpfull for sound editing with movies..but i have a few questions that only users may answer :

1) Does export for pro-tools works great ?
can i put some plug ins in pyramix and find them againin pro-tools for the mix ?
2) are there a lot of bugs ? I've heard horrible things about sounds failure at the really end of a project..
3) as a mac user for some years now, is the switch difficult, the os is stable ??
4) What are the pros and the cons against pro-tools HD ?

Thanks

benoit

Postby benoit » Mon Oct 28, 2002 01:16

Hello Mikaël,

1) Does export for pro-tools works great ?

...yes. There will be a direct protools import/export function in the next version.

can i put some plug ins in pyramix and find them again in pro-tools for the mix ?

...no way, unless you render them in your clips.

2) are there a lot of bugs ? I've heard horrible things about sounds failure at the really end of a project..

...after over 3 years of daily use: pyramix is one of the most reliable audio-DAW I ever put my hands on.
Compared to the mac, you might get more trouble with pc-hardware components though - but no big deal if you follow the company's good advices! ;-)

3) as a mac user for some years now, is the switch difficult, the os is stable ??

...XP is solid & you'll easily get used to it.

4) What are the pros and the cons against pro-tools HD ?

...staying very general:

pyramix pros:
- better editing
- advanced mastering fonctions
- highly format-opened
- DSD-capable
- extremely reliable (with a good pc-system)
- higher internal resolution
- excellent sync solutions
- large choice of I/O's, easy integration with madi-gear
- motivated & fast-reacting developper team
- excellent support
- better price for comparable performance

protools HD pros:
- everybody has it
- larger choice of plugins
- definitely pro-control...

Cheers
Benoit