Pyramix on a laptop

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
vbenny

Pyramix on a laptop

Postby vbenny » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:37

I am considering buying the Pyramix portable but there a few issues i need to clear up.

Firstly, would i be able to run 64 tracks from the laptop? They would playback from a firewire drive.

Second, the dealer says that the Mykerinos card has a video capture feature as standard. Is this true? Do I need to invest in a separate video capture solution?

I have been considering the Dual card (4 analog, 8 AES/EBU) but i think the dealer i spoke to is quoting high. Any idea what a rough price would be for this card?

Thanks.

benoit

Postby benoit » Wed Oct 16, 2002 14:51

"Firstly, would i be able to run 64 tracks from the laptop? They would playback from a firewire drive. "

If your laptop & drive performance is sufficient, yes.

"Second, the dealer says that the Mykerinos card has a video capture feature as standard. Is this true?"

No. The mykerinos-cards themselves do not have video capture features, but support video sync & burn-in options - this might explain the confusion.
But you can indeed capture video, with Virtual Transport on the software side + a firewire-card on the hardware side (to come in version 4.1).

Benoit

tibor

laptop

Postby tibor » Wed Oct 16, 2002 17:47

Does anyone have any experience with the Dell Inspiron 8200? If not, which ones have you tried and what was your experience?

Also, can you mix and edit from with the host cpu or do you need a magma at all times?

-Tibor

Silas

Postby Silas » Wed Oct 16, 2002 17:49

Hi vbenny,

We have been running PMX v.4.0 sp2 on a Toshiba Satellite 5105-s607 with a Magma CB-2 expansion chassis for a few months and have been quite happy. However we are doing low track count on-location classical recording so I can't testify to the track count limits. As a quick experiment I got about 32+ tracks mixing to surround and stereo with lots of VS effects using about %95 DSP on one card. If you were not needing to mix with effects I'm sure the track count would be much higher. Make sure you get a big enough expansion chassis as PCI slots will disappear quickly if you are doing video work also. Magma makes a 4 slot chassis that can have a removeable drive bay also (but noisy...). In our experience IDE mechanisms using the firewire bus may be a limitation if you want to run that many tracks. I would also recommend getting a backup cable for the connection between laptop and chassis. Magma uses a VHD 68 pin connector and stiff cable that makes a delicate connection.
Good luck,

Silas

agikas

mobile pyramix

Postby agikas » Sat Oct 19, 2002 14:58

I have also a mobile version of Pyramix (4.1 beta) with a Magma CB-2 with adat interface and external converters and a Compaq presario 2700 . I am using an external firewire hard disc and the limitation of my system is about 48 tracks (24bit/48Khz)which is quite satisfactory.
The cable connection is indeed the disadvantage of the whole system.

Alexis Ghikas

Athens GR

Silas wrote:Hi vbenny,

We have been running PMX v.4.0 sp2 on a Toshiba Satellite 5105-s607 with a Magma CB-2 expansion chassis for a few months and have been quite happy. However we are doing low track count on-location classical recording so I can't testify to the track count limits. As a quick experiment I got about 32+ tracks mixing to surround and stereo with lots of VS effects using about %95 DSP on one card. If you were not needing to mix with effects I'm sure the track count would be much higher. Make sure you get a big enough expansion chassis as PCI slots will disappear quickly if you are doing video work also. Magma makes a 4 slot chassis that can have a removeable drive bay also (but noisy...). In our experience IDE mechanisms using the firewire bus may be a limitation if you want to run that many tracks. I would also recommend getting a backup cable for the connection between laptop and chassis. Magma uses a VHD 68 pin connector and stiff cable that makes a delicate connection.
Good luck,

Silas
Alexis Ghikas
Athens Greece
alexis_ghikas@mycosmos.gr

tibor

Host PCI too slow

Postby tibor » Sat Oct 19, 2002 20:06

Alexis do you get a host pci too slow error ever?
-Ty

agikas

Re: Host PCI too slow

Postby agikas » Sun Oct 20, 2002 00:40

NO.For the moment I don't have any problem.

tibor wrote:Alexis do you get a host pci too slow error ever?
-Ty
Alexis Ghikas

Athens Greece

alexis_ghikas@mycosmos.gr

Silas

Postby Silas » Sun Oct 20, 2002 01:08

Hi everyone,

We get the "PCI Host response time too slow (>20)" error at startup but nowhere else. It doesn't disturb any of the PMX startup. Tibor, as far as I've experienced you need to always be connected to the Magma otherwise Pyramix can't find DSP and won't cooperate - anyone else got it working without the Mykerinos?

Best,
Silas

benoit

Postby benoit » Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:41

"you need to always be connected to the Magma otherwise Pyramix can't find DSP and won't cooperate - anyone else got it working without the Mykerinos? "

Pyramix' code is written for the trimedia-plattform AND for pentium (in order to use non-realtime render functions, which cannot be runned by a dsp-chip). But the pentium code works also in realtime (developpers' versions only, with shrinked functionnality and "communication" limited to SB-compatible cards). Such a version (with the mentionned limitations) might be available one day. But believe me: it doesn't make any real sense to renounce to the trimedia's great performance, comfort & realibilty!

Benoit

Roland Clarke

Firewire drives

Postby Roland Clarke » Sun Oct 20, 2002 23:49

In my experience and those of others I have read about, I would say that a firewire drive should be able to handle around 40-50 tracks depending on the drive and the firewire to IDE converter. If you really need high track counts say 40 or more I would seriously look at SCSI both in terms of reliability and the fact you can gain serious amounts of performance through SCSI raids. IDE when raided only gives you an increase of 20-30% over single drive performance.

Regards

Roland

benoit

Postby benoit » Mon Oct 21, 2002 00:18

In 4.1, you'll be able to choose a specific folder/drive for _each_ track. Makes it easy to expend your firewire (for ex.) performance by connecting multiple drives together.

Benoit

Roland Clarke

Re Files and Drive options

Postby Roland Clarke » Mon Oct 21, 2002 00:26

I could see that being a benefit in a posting situation say with comonly used beds and effects, but I would personally find that a nightmare in a session context, although I could see it as being a useful way of getting out of trouble at a pinch.

Regards

Roland

benoit

Postby benoit » Mon Oct 21, 2002 00:35

I do this quite a lot - splitting on two drives is still "manageable" & gives me the double track-count I sometimes need (hello 96k...).
At least, I never - up to now - ended mixing up classical guitar with wild metal stuff! ;-)

Benoit

vbenny

Re: Firewire drives

Postby vbenny » Mon Oct 21, 2002 09:24

Thanks, Roland. I would really be needing that many tracks for editing music tracks. Mostly ProTools projects. I don't think I will require more than 48 for other stuff.

Anyone tried importing a ProTools EDL directly into PMX? How does it deal with disabled tracks, tempo maps and TDM plug-ins?

Silas, thanks for the tip about the cable. Will definitely keep it in mind.

Vijay

Roland Clarke wrote:In my experience and those of others I have read about, I would say that a firewire drive should be able to handle around 40-50 tracks depending on the drive and the firewire to IDE converter. If you really need high track counts say 40 or more I would seriously look at SCSI both in terms of reliability and the fact you can gain serious amounts of performance through SCSI raids. IDE when raided only gives you an increase of 20-30% over single drive performance.

Regards

Roland

svennevig

Postby svennevig » Mon Oct 21, 2002 14:15

Instead of using two firewire drives and recording/playback from two disks you can do like I configure it:
Hook both Firewire drives onto Win2K/WinXP (remember to enable cached access in device manager, increasing speed with 50%).
Then I create a striped disk over the two firewire disks in diskmanager.
This gives me a RAID0, very fast, just one logical drive.
With three firewire drives you can have RAID5, both speed and secure..

Just remember to stop both drives before you unplug cables....

Pål Svennevig
Tech Manager
A Systems AS
www.asystems.as