Mixdown... realtime?

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
shaneperc

Mixdown... realtime?

Postby shaneperc » Fri Oct 11, 2002 09:30

One of the things I hate most about Protools is that the bounce-to-disc function is in realtime (after hours of editing, the last thing I want to do is listen to the song one more time in its entirety).
Is the Pyramix Mixdown function in realtime, or is it a quick offline type of process?

stephen

Postby stephen » Fri Oct 11, 2002 13:08

you can choose to have realtime or nonrealtime (as fast as youre cpu and HD can handle it)

reagards
Stephen

Pyromanic

chose non-realtime

Postby Pyromanic » Fri Oct 11, 2002 15:59

Yes, Stephen is right, if you choose "non-realtime" it takes only a few seconds to mixdown a song...(SCSI160 P42000)
I´ve compared the two but detected no glitches or artefacts, so I always use nonrealtime mixdown.
best regards

Pyromanic

benoit

Postby benoit » Fri Oct 11, 2002 23:08

I always mixdown in realtime because of my external reverbs - and because I LOVE to relax while listening to an edited & mixed tune once the work is done! ;-)

Benoit

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Sat Oct 12, 2002 00:52

Hi Benoit,

I have noticed, in 4.1beta 10, that the non-real-time mixes have problems when direct-X plug-ins are used.

Specifically, parameters change during the first 30 seconds or so of the non-realtime mixdown. This is using the Waves' Linear Phase EQ and Linear phase Multi-band compressor, which also have other issues, I think due to the amount of time required to process the audio through these linear-phase processes.

Do you notice any of these problems in the release version? (4.0sp2, 3)

Also, in DSD, a real-time mixdown is only about 5-10% slower than non-realtime, so I just enjoy the great sound... :D

Regards,

Graemme

benoit wrote:I always mixdown in realtime because of my external reverbs - and because I LOVE to relax while listening to an edited & mixed tune once the work is done! ;-)

Benoit
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

stephen

Postby stephen » Sat Oct 12, 2002 05:05

Just to ad a comment,
I dont know exactly whats going on during mixdown, but i have also some strange things happening.
After mixing the music in my project, i make a non realtime mixdown , and i get a sizzling sound about 6khz in the music. Thats only when i have directX plugs (Waves 3.5) working. I havent tryd the option of real time Mixdown but i will test it

Thanx 4 the hint

Stephen

benoit

Postby benoit » Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:52

"I have noticed, in 4.1beta 10, that the non-real-time mixes have problems when direct-X plug-ins are used. "

I'll try it.

"Do you notice any of these problems in the release version? (4.0sp2, 3) "

I never used this version...

Benoit

shaneperc

Postby shaneperc » Mon Oct 14, 2002 04:58

benoit wrote:- and because I LOVE to relax while listening to an edited & mixed tune once the work is done! ;-)

I take note of your righteousness. :) Or, is that part of the Pyramix experience? (e.g., Recording artists of better quality come to your door, instead of only the bands that don't ever notice when their guitars are out of tune, and the bass guitarist and drummer can't come together on the definition of "down-beat" :) ).