Using virtual synth software and midi with Pyramix.

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Marlan Barry

Using virtual synth software and midi with Pyramix.

Postby Marlan Barry » Thu Oct 10, 2002 23:02

Hello Everyone:

I'm interested in adding on a midi set-up to my studio and was wondering if I can use Native Instruments virtual synth's and a Midiman usb controller with my current turnkey Pyramix system.

Do I need to use additional software such as Logic or Nuendo or can I use the Pyramix system with my Mykerinos card. If I do need to install more software what will work with my system. I've heard the new Virtual Transport might help in this area.

I am a classical recording engineer who usually produces and records
orchestral and operatic rep. This will be my first foray into the world of midi. Please pardon my ignorance. :?
Marlan Barry

Pyromanic

need new software

Postby Pyromanic » Fri Oct 11, 2002 08:29

As far as I know Pyramix has no Midi Capabilities in the mean of Sequenzing.
I work with Cubase as a second software, slaved via MTC to Pyramix.
This can be done by usind Viertual Transport or (in my case) via Midi Interface (emagic Unitor8) because I feel better with the LTC sync, seems to be steadier.
best regards

Pyromanic

benoit

Postby benoit » Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:03

I've been doing very good experiences with Virtual Transport, MidiOX and Logic via "virtual" MTC.

Benoit

shaneperc

Postby shaneperc » Mon Oct 14, 2002 04:42

Doesn't Pyramix have an internal click track when in Bars and Beats mode? If I didn't misread that part, I'm sure that's midi generated, which means they've already incorporated some simple midi sequencing capability.
I wonder how much farther they would have to go to turn it into a full-blown sequencer/editor? It doesn't seem very far, considering that a midi sequencer isn't very difficult to produce. Actually, if you know a modest amount of Windows programming, it isn't hard to make your own.
Maybe Merging could make the sequencer a software add-on, not part of the core, like the DSD or AES31 options.
The only problem is, from the marketing perspective, a midi sequencer would tarnish the image of Pyramix as a "serious" audio dsp system. It might seem like Pyramix was intended to compete with products like the ones from Creamware (which everyone knows are not worth considering for audio processing), or something in that neighborhood. I know ProTools has a sequencer, but IMHO, the fact that it was so crappy for so long perpetuated the idea that Protools/Digidesign was dedicated to a quality audio section.
With all that said, I'd still love to see it as an option. :)

benoit

Postby benoit » Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:57

"Doesn't Pyramix have an internal click track when in Bars and Beats mode?"
It does.

"It might seem like Pyramix was intended to compete with products like the ones from Creamware..."
??? I don't think so! ;-)

"I know ProTools has a sequencer, but IMHO, the fact that it was so crappy..."
That's the point. Why invent the wheel once again, when you can sync a worldclass-midi-sequencer like logic to a worldclass-DAW like pyramix so easily? :-)
But time will tell.

Benoit
Last edited by benoit on Mon Oct 21, 2002 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

Roland Clarke

Syncing Midi to Pyramix

Postby Roland Clarke » Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:50

I guess the point that is being made by some of the posts here, and indeed the point I would make is that Habving everything in one package allows everything to be mixed together, but I agree it is impractical. I tend to do this work myself in Logic, then master on Pyramix. If I am multitrack recording however I use Pyramix for that, as its far more reliable.

Regards

Roland