Planning on buying Pyramix etc.

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
arvidgunardi

Planning on buying Pyramix etc.

Postby arvidgunardi » Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:25

Hi people,

I am planning on buying a pyramix. First saw and heard of it in their promotional clinic here in indonesia. My questions are, during mixdown, how affected are my CPU when there are 30 tracks each with dynamics, efxs, EQs all at the same time? Or would all the processing be done by the card itself?

I am also planning to get the AES EBU 4+8 daughter board, would that be the one to get if all i need is minimum 10 analog ins. Plus would plugging the AES EBU 4+8 daughter board directly to an analog mixer (via the serial cable ofcourse) be all rite?

I realise that pyramix has a syncing capabilities, but with the 2 cards I intend to buy, how would i sync with a 2" analog or protools without using other external sync such as MTC etc?

Thank you!

Arvid

Pyromanic

re

Postby Pyromanic » Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:34

Hi,
Yes, all the processing of the native plugins, means the VS3 plugs is done by the cards DSP. If using DX or VST Plugs, they are affecting the CPU. With a single board configuration you can do up to 24CH I/O with AES, 16 with ADAT and 64 with MADI.
When you e.g. playback 24 CH with each an EQ, and Strip tool (compressor, limiter, EQ, etc.) then you´ll get about 70-80% of DSP usage.When you use multi board config, then you have more DSP Power.

I don´t understand how you want to connect to your desk , what is serial cable? When you have the dual daughterboard, you can connect the analog outs and ins to your desk, and the AES ones to an digital device. Then you have to look for the Audio Clock sync, e.g. Pyramix Master, digital device Slave...

The sync you mentioned to the 2" seems to be a Timecode sync. But this is, as far as I know, not possible without using LTC, MTC, VITC. either as a generated signal from the machine or a recorded one on tape.

Hope I understood you right...
best regards

Pyromanic

arvidgunardi

Postby arvidgunardi » Wed Oct 09, 2002 17:00

Hi,

Thanks for the infos. So without buying the daughter board, the mainboard(card) has a 24 channels I/O built in already?? Or to make it even simpler, I simply need at least 8 to 10 analog ins for my studio at the moment.

Ex. i want 8 (preferably 10) ins from my console and send it to my computer. What do i need?

Would I still need a daughter board as the extensions for the I/O? Cause the salesguy here told me that i need one. And since they are sold as a package, the cheapest package comes with the card, plus an AES EBU daughter card. I know it's confusing, I'm confused too:)

Again, basically, I need to be able to record at least 8 or preferable 10 physical analog ins, record all in real time to the computer.

The sales guy boasted that he tried mixing 56 tracks all with EQ, dynamics, and efx with no problems. Possible? His computer is running on Pentium 4, and about 512 ram.

Thanks in advance for the tremendous help.

Arvid

arvidgunardi

Re: re

Postby arvidgunardi » Wed Oct 09, 2002 17:06

Pyromanic wrote:Hi,
With a single board configuration you can do up to 24CH I/O with AES, ...

So, that would be using one mainboard, plus the AES daughter board? And I have "up to" 24 I/O? what do you mean by up to? Sorry for my stupid questions:)

Pyromanic

I/O

Postby Pyromanic » Wed Oct 09, 2002 17:35

No problem,
You have various configurations with the "Mainboard" as you call it.
There is the Mykerinos board, with its DSP, handling 64 possible I/O Channels on the bus.
By using different daughterboards you can access different magnitudes of the possible 64 CH.
Ex.:
ADAT 16 I/O
AES, TDIF 24 I/O
MADI 64 (48 with Sony R100) I/O

So it depends on the daughterboard how many of physical I/Os you get.
Virtually no tracklimit is set in the Software Pyramix.

To get more Physical I/Os and more DSP Power, you can cascade the Mykerinos boards with different daughterboards.

So two Myks would be 32ADAT or 48 AES or 128 MADI etc.
best regards

Pyromanic

benoit

Postby benoit » Thu Oct 10, 2002 00:19

" The sales guy boasted that he tried mixing 56 tracks all with EQ, dynamics, and efx with no problems. Possible? His computer is running on Pentium 4, and about 512 ram. "

I'm getting an average dsp load of 60-65% with a 56 channels-mixer, 56 high-quality para-eq's & 56 compressors (@ 44.1 kHz); this with an old PIII 700, SCSI 160, 1 gig ram and 3 mykerinos MB3. So quite more headroom for additional fx's. And all this with a very low latency, no dropouts, no glitches.

You can of course play much more tracks than 56 with such a configuration - pyramix can playback, as pyromanic outlined, an unlimited amount of tracks trough a single channel-strip. Your harddrive will probably die before...;-)

Benoit

DougA

Postby DougA » Thu Oct 10, 2002 01:09

I mix 32 Tracks with about half running "strip tools" and the rest doing para eq's and or dynamics, three or four efx and two auxes with efx. Buss Tools on the Stereo mix and tapping out around 85% on one card. Knock on wood , all runns well. P4 1.3ghz 512m.
Have fun

Roland Clarke

Pyamix in's and outs

Postby Roland Clarke » Thu Oct 10, 2002 01:55

As you can see from the above posts the number of tracks you wish to run from the system would be possible on just one card, however you are going to need an external AD convertor. The analogue option on the Pyramix, only gives you 4 in 4 out. Your cheapest option would be a Mykerinos card with Adat daughterboard (you have to have at least one daughtercard to get in and out of the system) and a couple of Alesis AI-3's at around $500 each these are the cheapest AD converters I have seen and they give you eight in's and eight outs. As for outputs you shouldn't really need more than 6 and thats if you are monitoring in surround.

To sync to an external 2" machine you will need the pyramix sync option which isn't very expensive, but you will have to have a smpte generator to stripe your 2" machine anyway. Several boxes like the Motu Digital timepiece will alow you to sync to protools and a multitrack using whatever sync you want. Talking about protools, if you have Pyramix it is pretty much redundant. I use pyramix with a combination of internal tools (VS3) these are native to Pyramix software, and use the DSP on the cards, and DX plugin's that use the CPU power. I have a Sony DMX R100 which I plan to stick a Madi board in with the addition of another Mykerinos card with Madi on the Pyramix. At present I run mine with 1 card (the MYK-3) and an Adat daughterboard. All my mixing is done internally, however I will confess to doing some of my mixing using Logic Audio, simply because of the midi capabilities. These mixes are then mastered and edited within Pyramix. The Sony for the most part is a glorified surround monitoring system, but is also used as a tracking tool.

If you are thinking of buying Pyramix, I wouldn't hesitate, it has been one of the best studio items I've ever bought it terms of power, and value for money. It cost me less than some of the outboard boxes I have bought in the past and does a hell of a lot more!

Regards

Roland