Mastering with Pyramix

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
nate

Mastering with Pyramix

Postby nate » Wed Oct 02, 2002 03:21

Hi folks,
I just wanted to get a feel for how people are using Pyramix for mastering. Any comments on how hard/easy it was to change from another platform (Sonic, Sadie, Sequoia, etc.) to Pyramix?
Are there mastering features that you miss about your old platform or features in Pyramix that aren't found elsewhere? Let's make this an unofficial post for mastering engineers...

Thanks!

Nathan James
Hit Factory Mastering
New York, New York

Roland Clarke

Mastering with Pyramix

Postby Roland Clarke » Wed Oct 02, 2002 18:50

I'd like to put it this way, before I was using Sadie, and for all my EQ and compression needs I relied on outboard equipement like my Focusrite, TC, Neve, etc. With the pyramix I can achieve these results out of the box!

The Sadie system was great for its PQ generating facilities, and the ease with which you could write and verify a DDP master, but I was very dissappointed with both the EQ and compression tools. They suffered like so many earlier digital products from that precise but surgical sound. With the pyramix, its parametric EQ is great and very easy to use, and it has an absolutely wonderful limiter on the buss tools, pure audio magic! Coupled with the ability to use third party plugins via Direct X the range of tools available is great.

The down sides?

Pyramix still in my view needs a serious noise reduction sytem of the calibre of Cedar. The compressor in my view is pants. A convolving reverb system would be very nice. Possible a multiband mastering limiter would be a sensible addition for mastering and when auto-creating a PQ list, care needs to be taken to make sure you don't end up with extrenous PQ end points, it seems that the system can't detect if tracks are closer together than the offset values. All in all it is in my personal view the best system on the market, and if you don't have one already I would suggest it would be the best investment you could make on new kit in the present market climate. My $0.03 worth anyhow! :D

Regards

Roland

svennevig

Postby svennevig » Wed Oct 02, 2002 23:57

Hi,

Vincent Burel VB plugins for Pyramix can cover the extra needs for tools in Pyramix. VB have a great multiband dynamics. And even better strip tools and meters :-)
Also for 4.1 new incredible noise correcting tools are available.

Have a look here:
www.media-assistance.com

Pål

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Thu Oct 03, 2002 09:41

Hi Nate,

Like Roland, I also switched from Sadie and I haven't regretted my choice. I agree with Roland on all of his points and would also add the following:

1.) In Sadie it was easier to manage separate EDLs with their own PQ lists, than it currently is in Pyramix. But, if I keep bugging Dominique long enough, perhaps he'll fix that.

2.) Pyramix allows the conversion of *entire* projects from one sample rate to another. This has been a huge time-saver, especially on hi-res projects. I don't think that anything else has this feature.

3.) Merging Technologies have supported me extremely well. Additionally, this forum has knowledgeable and helpful users.

4.) Bugs (well. most of them...<g>) get fixed quickly.

5.) The 'sound' of Pyramix is transparent and repeatably so.

6.) Finished CDs and DDPs can be re-loaded into Pyramix (with markers) and easily 'nulled' against both the original source and/or the CD Image file, if needed.

7.) I kept one of my Sadie's to use as a DDP verification tool. As soon as Pyramix offers that same function (or better) then I won't need to use the Sadie anymore. Nothing against the Sadie-it's still a heavyweight that has my greatest respect-but Pyramix is my tool of choice.

Regards,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

Roland Clarke

DDP Verification

Postby Roland Clarke » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:47

Hi Graemme,

Pyramix can verify DDP's. I do it as standard all the time. Or am I missunderstanding you?

Regards

Roland

Antonio

Back Up

Postby Antonio » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:58

Hi
I moved from SADiE and I found some difficult on "Clean up media".
On Sadie you can destroy the audio files unused in you project with different EDLS, simply opening all the EDLS with the versions you need and cleaning the project.
On Pyramix if you want different EDLS you have to "save as" your playlist (it's a project *.pmx) but when you want to "Clean Up Media" you can't save the media of the previous playlist because it's another project.
The only way i found is to change the media directory of the new project.
Is it the only way? :cry:

P.S.: Sorry for my English

stephen

Postby stephen » Thu Oct 10, 2002 23:51

hi there, maybe i am a bit late to write in this post but i faced the same troubles today. I have in my project Folder about 6 different Playlists "Projects".
My solution was to create a new Project and Copy/Paste all my 6 different arrangements behind each other. After having all my needed Clips in one Project file i used clean up media.
It took some time but it worked!

But i was surprised that i could not do else.

Regards

Stephen

Graemme

Re: DDP Verification

Postby Graemme » Fri Oct 11, 2002 20:48

Roland Clarke wrote:...

Pyramix can verify DDP's. I do it as standard all the time. Or am I missunderstanding you?

Hi Roland,

Yes, I use the verify function as well. What I didn't state very clearly was my desire for a 'verbose' report of the verification procedure, including the errors on the tape itself. Sadie very neatly handles this and I wish that Pyramix did as well.

I suppose that we will not need this tape verification function within a few years due to 'DDP on Yellow Book DVD-ROM' or 'DDP over FTP', but for now I feel much more confident when I can see how fast the tape drive was able to write/verify and not fall below 1x tape speed due to large amounts of errors.

Regards,

Graemme
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

Studio Champagne

DDP with Pyramix

Postby Studio Champagne » Mon Oct 21, 2002 23:35

Hi,

We are a recording studio and since we have the Pyramix system, some of our clients ask us to do the mastering of their projects. Since I don't know very much about mastering, I would like to know what it takes to make a DDP master (ie. what company makes the units necessary, what is supported by Pyramix etc...)

Thank you,

Hugo Trépanier
Studio Champagne

Roland Clarke

DDP on Pyramx

Postby Roland Clarke » Tue Oct 22, 2002 00:55

You need an Exabyte drive. Not sure what the current model is, but I would check out the Exabyte website. Also a word of warning, Mastering is not just a question of writing to DDP. Other factors such as mix levels and low frequency content in addition to overall sonic balance become much more critical. PQ offset points are also important to sucessful mastering. Its no accident that mastering studio's sometimes charge considerably more than recording facilities.

Regards

Roland

Graemme

Re: DDP with Pyramix

Postby Graemme » Tue Oct 22, 2002 04:12

Hi Hugo and Roland,

There is a bit of a problem with buying a new Exabyte drive for DDP masters-there is no longer anything "new" available!

Exabyte sent me a note some months ago, informing me that the Eliant 820 (the 'newest' compatible drive) was being discontinued.

What you need is an "Exabyte 8505 compatible" tape drive and here are your options (that I am aware of, anyway):

8505XL

Of all of these drives, the Eliant 820 is your best bet, it being the newest. Exabyte have a 'flat-rate' charge for the repair of any discontinued item and in Canada it's $600.00-so figure that in to your cost when purchasing a drive.

Before you buy one of the Eliant drives, make sure that it's SCSI interface is compatible with your SCSI controller. There are a few variations out there and it's not immediately obvious as to which is which.

Finally, the days of DDP on tape are surely numbered, thanks to "DDP to Folders" (aka "Yellow Book CD/DVD"). Pyramix (well, actually DiscWrite) supports this export format in the upcoming 4.1 release.

I still send out my masters in DDP on Exabyte format and probably will until the two main disc manufacturers in Canada switch over to DVD-ROM as a delivery format.

Regards,

Graemme

Studio Champagne wrote:Hi,

We are a recording studio and since we have the Pyramix system, some of our clients ask us to do the mastering of their projects. Since I don't know very much about mastering, I would like to know what it takes to make a DDP master (ie. what company makes the units necessary, what is supported by Pyramix etc...)

Thank you,

Hugo Trépanier
Studio Champagne
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

Fred FINAND

About Mastering

Postby Fred FINAND » Tue Oct 22, 2002 14:37

To studio champagne and everyone interesting by mastering :

If you begin with mastering operations, you can find many informations at :
http://www.digido.com

Fred

nate

PQ Burst generation???

Postby nate » Wed Oct 23, 2002 05:32

I may already know the answer but I thought I'd see if anyone else has the same question. Will Pyramix 4.1 have PQ Burst generation for 1630 mastering? It may be a dying format but there are still plants that are using it as thier prefered source for duplication. Just wondering if that's on the book, it would be a significant addition to an already superior workstation.

Thanks!

Nathan James

Graemme

Re: PQ Burst generation???

Postby Graemme » Wed Oct 23, 2002 05:41

Hi Nate,

As far as I am aware, there will be no 'PQ burst for 1630' function in the upcoming Pyramix 4.1.

The best person to ask would be either Dominique Brulhart or Claude Cellier at Merging HQ.

For extra picky clients, I get them to pay the extra for a 1x transfer of the DDP tape that I send. That seems to be working for my clients. They either pay it or re-think their priorities...<g>

I agree that it would be a great addition.

Regards,

Graemme

nate wrote:I may already know the answer but I thought I'd see if anyone else has the same question. Will Pyramix 4.1 have PQ Burst generation for 1630 mastering? It may be a dying format but there are still plants that are using it as thier prefered source for duplication. Just wondering if that's on the book, it would be a significant addition to an already superior workstation.

Thanks!

Nathan James
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096