Pyramix not booting - "windows will advise a solution"

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
draudio2u

Pyramix not booting - "windows will advise a solution"

Postby draudio2u » Fri Apr 13, 2018 18:18

Hi,
Windows 7 Pro 64bit, running PMX 11.0.6. his machine was running Pyramix fine just two weeks ago, but now will not boot. A window pops up stating "Program has stopped working, Windows will advise if a solution to the problem becomes available" I have restored the system back two dates (to April 3), and it works.
Question: anyone know what updates came down the lines in the past ten days that could have caused this?

Thank you.

fl

Re: Pyramix not booting - "windows will advise a solution"

Postby fl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 18:33

Microsoft's attempts to mitigate the Meltdown and Spectre exploits have resulted in a series of Windows updates (starting in January of this year) filled with problems, and actually making the vulnerability worse. Symptoms of a patched system are a proclivity to experience memory leaks, and network connection loss, either of which Pyramix would find upsetting. It's possible that your machine installed the April updates without your knowing it, and that these introduced the problems you encountered.

Might I suggest that you check the AskWoody.com website from time to time to see the current state of things regarding updating and maintaining a Windows 7 installation.

As tempting as it is to blame Microsoft for everything wrong in the world, sometimes Pyramix installations go sour, and a quick recourse is to run the Pyramix installer again, but this time it will come up with a "Repair" option, which will reinstall all the necessary files over top of any which may have become corrupted. That's a quicker fix than reinstalling your whole system from a backup image, and avoids the problems associated with software and plug-ins registrations being lost in the process.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Wed Jun 13, 2018 07:53

Of course, you could just turn off 'automatic updates' and save your self many, many headaches. I run Windows 7-64-bit and have no such issues. I only do updates when I have the time to lose several hours of my life...in other words, only when I really need to.
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Mon Jun 25, 2018 21:53

I just ran windows updates (happens twice annually at most) and now have lost function of my Ravenna cards: "network cable unplugged". Any ideas what the culprit is? Running the Pyramix installer in 'repair' mode on one machine did not fix the network card.
I was planning on updating these systems to v11 this week anyway, but would like to save some configs first.

Update: Windows restore saved my butt on my main machine. The backup rig is now happily running V11. I guess this is another lesson: If you must run updates, set a restore point first!
MassCore v14.0.5 Win10/64 i9-10900 & i9-11900K, Avid S3
3x Horus = 80 In/24 Out @PCM
Native V14 Win10/64 i7-12700K miniDSP UDIO-8, Avid S1 & nob controller
Native V14 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:43

Charlie,
;I just went though this brain damage myself.
You need to stop using the "Rollup" and switch to Security only updates.
I long ago stopped using the regular windows update and started using WSUS Offline.
Once you do this, you will still need to remove a bunch of individual updates. It is listed on the confluence page.
https://confluence.merging.com/pages/vi ... d=25755762

All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Wed Jun 27, 2018 00:03

Thanks for the link Mark. Most helpful

fl

Postby fl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 14:50

Most of the issues with network cards ceasing to function came with the March 2018 updates from Microsoft. They have acknowledged that there is an issue (which persists), but have not provided information as to which cards from which vendors are affected. There are some indications as to which specific updates caused the issues.

For an overview of the state of things, take a look at Woody Leonhard's article at https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... rsist.html
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15