Edit in external editor - how to get file back in Pyramix?

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

Edit in external editor - how to get file back in Pyramix?

Postby ljudatervinning » Mon Oct 23, 2017 19:06

I am fairly new to Pyramix and need to do some editing on a few clips in an external editor.
How do I exchange the old file with the new? It need to retain it's exact position in the project.
In wavelab, there is a function to change between different file-versions. Is there a similar function in Pyramix?
ljudatervinning

Re: Edit in external editor - how to get file back in Pyrami

Postby klaukholm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 21:07

Delete the old version from the timeline and paste new file to original timecode.

What is it you are having troubles with in regards to editing?
Maybe the best thing to do is figure out how to edit within PMX?
klaukholm

Postby DJS » Mon Oct 23, 2017 22:30

ljudatervinning wrote:I am fairly new to Pyramix and need to do some editing on a few clips in an external editor.
How do I exchange the old file with the new? It need to retain it's exact position in the project.
In wavelab, there is a function to change between different file-versions. Is there a similar function in Pyramix?

In the timeline, select the clip you want to update the media for, then, from media manager, hold control down while dragging the replacement media clip you want onto the selected clip in the timeline.

PS. Wavelab's replace media function is wonderful.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia
DJS

Postby ljudatervinning » Tue Oct 24, 2017 14:02

Thank's, but I still can't get it working.
Am I doing something wrong?

Steps I have followed:

- Source/destination Editing.
- Identified clip (on Destination timeline) in Media Manager to edit in external editor.
- Open original wavefile and save a new version in Izotope RX with post-fix: 'original name'_fix.

- Alt. 1: Ctrl-drag 'original name'_fix file over old clip in timeline (on destination timeline).
=> Result: Clip was not snapped to original position
- Alt. 2: Remove old clip in timeline and place 'original name'_fix at original timecode
=> Result: Clip was placed way off on the destination timeline.

Editing in RX was mostly spectral editing removing noise/bumps, I don't know how to do that in Pyramix.

My fall back plan: Rename original wave-file to 'original name'_orig and rename 'original name'_fix to 'original name'.
Close Pyramix, clear peak-files and re-open? Must be an easier way?
ljudatervinning

Postby klaukholm » Tue Oct 24, 2017 14:37

You can work with RX inside Pyramix.
klaukholm

Postby ljudatervinning » Tue Oct 24, 2017 14:59

Ok!

I tried VST spectral Repair RX3 adv. but it says it is not supported in this host (Pyramix 11). Do I need a newer version of RX?
Is there a Howto guide I can read somewhere?
ljudatervinning

Postby klaukholm » Tue Oct 24, 2017 15:31

RX Connect came with the release of RX4 if I recall.

http://www.creativefieldrecording.com/2 ... omparison/
klaukholm

Postby fl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 16:07

I'm going to assume that that was not a typo, and that you are indeed using Izotope RX version 3. Later versions of RX include a utility which makes working in the standalone version of RX much easier, so you may want to consider upgrading, but nevertheless what you want to do is possible.

You also did not mention how many tracks are involved with the Clip you wish to process - keep in mind that RX3 has an upper limit of two tracks at a time. Your idea of replacing the Clips by using the same file name for the RXed version as was used for the original, is good, but you need to do a couple of extra steps.

1. In the Destination Track Group, select the Clip you wish to process in RX. I've found that it works best if you go first to the Crossfade editor, and reduce the duration of any crossfades to 0 (make a note of the duration you had there, for later), so that your noisy Clip has butt edits at its beginning and end. If it is comprised of one or two tracks, go to step 2, if not you'll need to limit your selection to one or two tracks so that RX can deal with them. You can do this by using the main Selection menu > Nudge > Narrow Selection Up command to reduce the number of channels in the selection, to one, or two (should they be a stereo pair).

2. Once you have only one or two tracks selected, go to the main Project menu > Render. In the window which appears, look at the field on the upper left and select "<None>". Right next to that field, are the entry fields for the "Extra Handles" which extend the beginning and end of each of the Selections - from their original source Master Clips, so it's probably a reasonable step to enter in 2 extra seconds for both the beginning and the end - just in case you need to readjust your edits once the noise removal is completed.

3. Then, top right, fill in a suitable name for the new file you're about to create. Make sure that you choose a file format which is compatible with RX - I'd recommend a 32 bit floating point WAV file. You might want to create a new folder as the destination for this new file - perhaps something like "RXing", in the same Project folder as your main Project files, and set this as the destination for the newly created file you're about to make. In the area lower down, make sure that the Source is set to "Selection". When everything is set properly, click on the "Render" button. This will create a new file which will replace the one in your Destination Track Group, and you'll be able to see this when you look at the Timeline and see the new file's name on the (still selected) Clips.

4. If the material you wish to RX-ify spans more than two tracks, you must repeat this process with the next one or two Tracks. The material you just rendered should still be Selected, so just go to the main Selection Menu > Nudge > Move Selection Down to select the next one or two tracks worth of this Clip. Render this/these with a suitable name to your "RXing" folder. Do this for all the tracks' Clips, then save your Project, and quit Pyramix.

5. Open RX and then open the first of the newly created files, and set about removing the noises you want nuked. When you're finished, you may want to save an .rxdoc file (the RX project file format), so that you'll have a copy of your work so can revisit the changes you made at a later date if necessary. Once that's done, Save (or as it's called in later RX versions, Export) the file using the same name and file format, so that you're overwriting the noisy file with the newly cleaned one. You do this so that when you re-open Pyramix, the RX processed files will take their places in the Destination Track Group of your edit.

6. Repeat the RX processing for any and all additional files you Rendered from Pyramix. When finished, save them with the same names.

7. When you're finished, quit RX, but before you re-start Pyramix, use Windows to navigate to the folder where the RXed files were put. You'll see all your recently RXed WAV files there along with files with the same name, but with the file extension ".pk2". Delete these. This will force Pyramix to re-draw the wave form displayed on the Timeline so that it matches what you've done in RX.

8. Start Pyramix and open your project. You'll notice that the Clips you Rendered for RX have no waveform displayed. It's possible that the re-draw will proceed automatically, but in case it does not, Right-click on each Clip and in the pop-up, go to Display > Generate Image. Repeat as necessary. If you wish, you can "Group" the new Clips together into one Clip Group (which is not the same as a Track Group, btw), by selecting them all, and in the main Clips menu > Group. Now when you click on one, all are selected. You can open the Cross-fade editor and restore the original cross-fades, or take advantage of the de-noising to readjust their positions and durations.

There you go, you have successfully replaced the noisy Clips with the ones cleaned in RX, and their timing and positioning are maintained. Because you did all your work on copies of the original files, you have not lost anything from the original session, but the new files are placed in the correct timing relationship to your S-D edit.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.0.6/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.123
fl

Postby klaukholm » Tue Oct 24, 2017 22:06

FYI, RX6 can do 16 tracks.
klaukholm

Postby Larry Elliott » Wed Oct 25, 2017 01:15

klaukholm wrote:FYI, RX6 can do 16 tracks.

Hi Klaukholm,
Have you been able to get 16 tracks to work with RX6 and Pyramix?

Thanks
Larry
Larry Elliott

Postby klaukholm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 07:28

I use Cedar for large orchestra projects since it will cover more tracks, so I cannot say I have tried RX for more than stereo. Are you having issues getting it working?
klaukholm

Postby Larry Elliott » Wed Oct 25, 2017 07:32

Thanks for your prompt response.

I havent tried it, but if it does work I will upgrade. Guess I will download the trial.

Cedar interests me too. I do have Renovator, which I understand is similar. Have you ever compared them?
Larry Elliott

Postby klaukholm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 08:25

Unless you have a large volume of denoising work, I would stick with an updated RX and Algorithmix.
klaukholm

Postby Larry Elliott » Wed Oct 25, 2017 08:27

Thank you!
Larry Elliott

Postby fl » Wed Oct 25, 2017 14:13

klaukholm wrote:FYI, RX6 can do 16 tracks.

Does that mean that RX6 can process 16 tracks from within Pyramix - as in a Render with the Effects Rack? Or are you talking about RX in stand-alone mode, running many projects, all piled up so that they are effected simultaneously, in what Izotope calls the "Composite View"?

My recent attempts at using "RX Connect" to send and return material to and from RX6, have crashed Pyramix 11 Native on my machine, so I continue to take the long way around, exporting rendered tracks as 32 bit f.p. WAVs, and then doing the ol' .pk2 switcheroo.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.0.6/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.123
fl

Next

Return to Pyramix General