Izotope Insight with Pyramix

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
StephenMarsh

Izotope Insight with Pyramix

Postby StephenMarsh » Fri May 05, 2017 17:20

Is anyone else using the Izotope Insight metering plugin on their master buss?

I'm getting a lot of crashes and the insight plug is causing it. I wonder if I need to adjust a buffer setting in Izotope for greater stability?

Does anyone have any advice?

Is anyone using an alternate meter plug-in they really like?

Thanks--Steph

fl

Re: Izotope Insight with Pyramix

Postby fl » Fri May 05, 2017 19:13

I use Insight quite a bit when I'm mastering, and with my Native system, it's never given me any problems, although I generally don't run it with more than three or four modules active.

You might want to increase your Pyramix Latency Compensation (access through the Mixer) settings a bit, but again, it's always worked for me with Default settings.

If all I want is to monitor Loudness, I've been quite happy with Tone Booster's EBU Loudness plugin, which is a fairly thrifty purchase.
http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-ebuloudness/
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

StephenMarsh

Postby StephenMarsh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 19:33

Thanks Frank, I'll give that a shot. Looks like it's at 116ms from the factory, will double that and see if it helps

fl

Postby fl » Thu Jul 13, 2017 19:53

You're talking about the "Max Mixer Delay Compensation" setting found in the main Settings > Mixer > Mixer Settings (for those viewers just joining us). Yes, doubling the amount here could help, although generally when you instantiate a plug-in which requires more of a buffer, Pyramix lets you know about it, and offers to increase the setting for you to an appropriate amount. Since this did not happen for you initially, your issues may stem from other causes.

Since you're using Native, I'm assuming you have an ASIO audio interface attached to your system. You might want to try increasing the Latency in that unit's Settings. Just make sure that the number you choose is a multiple of 64 (otherwise Pyramix gets cranky). For Post-Production work, where I'm not recording anything, I generally run my interface at its maximum Latency.

If you still have problems, then you may have to take a look at how you've optimized Windows. You may find that disabling certain device drivers frees ups the resources you need, or otherwise reduces the number of DPC interruptions which may be the cause of your crashes. Beyond that, I'm at a loss, and it may very well prove to be some setting or service which is the cause of all your misfortune.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

Graemme

Postby Graemme » Fri Jul 28, 2017 05:09

I use Insight every day...no crashes that I could directly attribute to it. I have my VST latency set quite high because of the DMG EQlibrium plug-in (and a few others). In general, it's a good idea to set the VST latency as high as you can stand it...then it tends not to be a buzzkill when you feel the need to run linear phase eqs on a bunch of stems ;->
Graemme Brown
Zen Mastering
1460 Wild Rose Drive
Gabriola Island, BC
Canada V0R 1X5
+1.604.874.9096

"A Horus, A Horus; My Kingdom for a Horus!"

StephenMarsh

Postby StephenMarsh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 21:38

Thanks for the advice!

I've got the computer mobo/BIOS etc all set up per the spec sheet direct from Dennis - checked every line of it myself, so I assume the system is not the issue.

I increased my Hapi buffer to 512 samples and my delay comp to 300.

will report back if that solves the issue, thanks guys!!

Larry Elliott

Postby Larry Elliott » Mon Sep 04, 2017 01:38

Graemme wrote:I use Insight every day...no crashes that I could directly attribute to it. I have my VST latency set quite high because of the DMG EQlibrium plug-in (and a few others). In general, it's a good idea to set the VST latency as high as you can stand it...then it tends not to be a buzzkill when you feel the need to run linear phase eqs on a bunch of stems ;->

Hi Graemme

By VST Latency do you mean Max Mixer Delay Compensation?

Thank you

Larry

StephenMarsh

Re: Izotope Insight with Pyramix (Solved)

Postby StephenMarsh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 20:36

Following up on this for anyone playing along at home: I believe we've tracked the problem down to access speeds of an external sata drive. My chassis must not be fast enough to keep up - the exact same drive, once placed INSIDE the computer and wired/powered directly from the mobo- works flawlessly. I image this is to blame for crashes when sending audio to and from Izotope RX standalone as well.