Dante and Pyramix

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
draudio2u

Dante and Pyramix

Postby draudio2u » Mon Apr 17, 2017 23:38

Hello,
Considering getting a dedicated Dante pci cards from Audinate and working with anything other than Hapi/Horus. Please don't judge as I LOVE Pyramix, but just don't find Hapi/Horus platform reliable enough for high profile remotes. Not only this but the strict requirements on computer setup and platforms is just too restrictive for toady's working environment (I find). Slightest setting is off and I get hit with digital tics or screaming distortions - not acceptable with top tier clients sitting next to you or on stage.

Madi is my older and current set up but with a plan in the works I would like to advantage of Network audio. Is anyone working in Dante and/or AES67 with multiple Pyramix systems that care to share their experience and set up?

Thank you.

fgoupil

Re: Dante and Pyramix

Postby fgoupil » Tue Apr 18, 2017 04:58

Hi,

I've used Dante with my Pyramix Native Pro system a few times to track projects with up to 64 tracks and everything went smoothly. You can simply purchase the Audinate DVS driver instead of getting a dedicated PCIe card. Perhaps the CPU overhead and delay is lower with the dedicated card but I find the DVS driver very stable for live concert recordings. Monitoring can be done using the secondary audio device in Pyramix so that you can route audio to a small audio card - the other option is to send audio back to the Dante network and get an external device to monitor your mix.

Best,

François

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 16:04

draudio2u wrote:Hello,
Considering getting a dedicated Dante pci cards from Audinate and working with anything other than Hapi/Horus. Please don't judge as I LOVE Pyramix, but just don't find Hapi/Horus platform reliable enough for high profile remotes. Not only this but the strict requirements on computer setup and platforms is just too restrictive for toady's working environment (I find). Slightest setting is off and I get hit with digital tics or screaming distortions - not acceptable with top tier clients sitting next to you or on stage.
Madi is my older and current set up but with a plan in the works I would like to advantage of Network audio. Is anyone working in Dante and/or AES67 with multiple Pyramix systems that care to share their experience and set up?
Thank you.

Not trying to be a jerk, but your issues with Horus/Hapi and Pyramix come down to a failure between the operator and the keyboard.
In the last 5 years I've made hundreds of large multi-track High sample rate recordings using PMX/Ravenna without issue. I've also used about a dozen different laptops(From big Lenovo quad core mobile workstation to my 12" Asus i3 dualcore) with Native to the same end. Just today I'm mixing a 90+track 192k opera I recorded on a lenovo laptop.
I suspect that your issues with network audio will not suddenly disappear when you switch to Dante. Learning the correct way to configure the network/system for stable operation is not rocket science. It just takes some time to learn.
As always, YMMV.
All the best,
Mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

draudio2u

Postby draudio2u » Wed Apr 19, 2017 19:27

Hello Mark,
Unfortunately I purchased the Hapi after I purchased a new Dell Rack workstation and a Dell Precision laptop workstation. I sent the configurations to Merging for confirmation that these computers would work with Pyramix, and especially upgrading the Rack workstation to Masscore down the line. Confirmed, no problem. Almost a year later, I purchase the Hapi, with DSD options, and after months of frustration, turns out the computer is not compatible at the motherboard level. So I have a $6k+ paperweight. I go to local dealer to spend a full afternoon with merging expert to try to get at least PCM usage with my Dell Precision laptop for remotes and we do get it going, but playback of a simple recent remote project at the dealer still tics every 10 minutes or so (only 10 tracks at 96khz). This is the dealer mind you setting up the system. I'm sorry, I would be right up there with you stating "user error", but in this instance, this is a Merging trying to be ProTools like proprietary, forcing all of us to bow down to their hardware for their software. I am done with that attitude from companies. The Pyramix software platform is great, but I refuse to be bullied away from native systems that are proven to work across the market. I gave Merging hardware a VERY fair and patient try, with their guidance and blessing mind you, and it fails. Happy your system and many others out there are working for you. I will find a professional solution that can work across many platforms, including Pyramix Native without error.

Jesse.Lewis

Postby Jesse.Lewis » Mon Jul 17, 2017 16:50

In a way, I am happy to know that your issues weren't with Dante itself... I for one have never had issues w/ network reliability, and have found record reliability to be fine - though my opera recording was only 87ch of 192k ;)

Know it's possible to interface w/ a DanteNet if need is good.

draudio2u, do you have any advice bringing up a Dante feed on a Pyramix-based recorder?

Many thanks,
Jesse

DJS

Postby DJS » Mon Jul 17, 2017 23:54

draudio2u wrote:I am done with that attitude from companies. The Pyramix software platform is great, but I refuse to be bullied away from native systems that are proven to work across the market.

But you're happy to be subjected to poor motherboard design and drivers and DPC latency from your computer manuf?
Horus and Hapi here with no significant issues in 4 years. There are some fundamentals to understand, but it is a very reliable system, much better than the other options available.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

rtoledo71

Postby rtoledo71 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 04:28

No issues here.

The the requirements for Masscore are extensive, but if you folllow Merging's guides, it works rather well. We have 3 masscore systems, and while they've had minor issues, the systems are solid.

I honestly find Native easier to work with because the requirements are not as stringent as Masscore.

That being said, the Hapi and Horus are some of the most solid and reliable devices I have ever worked with.

Roberto

Little tribeca

Postby Little tribeca » Sun Oct 08, 2017 19:07

So is anybody getting success receiving inputs from DANTE and monitoring with ANEMAN or RAVENNA on a HORUS or HAPI?