Video Tab question

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
rathammer

Video Tab question

Postby rathammer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 13:44

Hey guys,

is it possible to show only Video Output 1 in the Video Tab? It seems to be showing 1 & 2 mandatory at all times... Could not find any info on this in the manual or forum.

thanx a lot,
Andreas.

Mark Fawcett

Re: Video Tab question

Postby Mark Fawcett » Thu Jan 26, 2017 02:25

I'm with Andreas on this. It seems like a waste of screen real estate!

Kind regards, Mark

fl

Postby fl » Thu Jan 26, 2017 16:25

I have a music oriented Native system, so I only have one Video playback available to me, but isn't it easier to simply have the each Video playback appear in its own free-floating window (Video Menu > Toggle Video Window > Toggle Video Output Window 1, Toggle Video Output Window 2, etc.), rather than in the screen-wide Tab? The free-floating windows can be resized to be as large or as small as required, and can be summoned or dismissed quickly via a keyboard shortcut for each player (using the "Toggle" command).

On my system, having the Video Tab enabled seems to make things unstable, although I suspect this has to do with the file format of the video (compressed formats load the processor more heavily), so things could probably become more responsive if I were to convert the files from mp4 (h264) to something like ProRes 422. Playing an h264 MP4 file in its own floating window seems to be a much easier load.

Or am I missing the point...?
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native 11.1.6
• Mac Mini 6.2 (3rd Gen. Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 6.0.6136 - Win10 Pro SP1 64 v1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.15

rathammer

Postby rathammer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 17:36

when mixing for film and tv I agree that I would rather have the video on a separate screen. But when editing dialogue - which is the much longer process - I do not fire up the beamer because I just need a small visual reference close to the timeline for orientation. A separate window would cover some part of the user-interface and I end up dragging the video window from one place to another constantly. To switch from video tab to e.g. fade editor with a shortcut, adjust something real quick and jump back again is the beauty of the tabs...

that being said, the grid underneath those tabs is painful enough e.g. in the CD tab etc. where it never remembers the needed cell sizes etc.... that's frustrating for 15 years now, but strangely nobody seems to mind :-)

J.Wajer

Postby J.Wajer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:01

rathammer wrote:that's frustrating for 15 years now, but strangely nobody seems to mind :-)

I mind (every day!!!), but I stopped hoping... nobody listens.
...Gracefully Ignored...

DJS

Postby DJS » Sat Jan 28, 2017 00:16

rathammer wrote:that being said, the grid underneath those tabs is painful enough e.g. in the CD tab etc. where it never remembers the needed cell sizes etc.... that's frustrating for 15 years now, but strangely nobody seems to mind :-)

Yes, the TAB management in PMX is very frustrating and ergonomically dysfunctional. It needs an overhaul. I think it is pretty simple. Just remember and restore the position of all the TAB windows each time they are used and closed/minimised, like Windows does natively. Allow a saving of the positions as a workspace, if necessary.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia