Page 1 of 1

HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:13
by rjuly
Hello from Glasgow!

With my first post in your forum I would like to ask about the possibilities for using a HAPI to do 16 track music recording and mixing. I guess the nub of the issue is that, having filled both HAPI slots with premium AD cards, what are the options for 2 channel output of DSD? Are there in fact any, given that all other digital interfaces (ADAT AES) are pcm? Would it be necessary to have a separate AD card and swap them, or Is HORUS really the only viable way to approach this?

- Richard

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 17:30
by klaukholm
The headphone output is DSD capable, though only DSD 64 and 128

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 23:09
by DJS
rjuly wrote:Hello from Glasgow!

With my first post in your forum I would like to ask about the possibilities for using a HAPI to do 16 track music recording and mixing. I guess the nub of the issue is that, having filled both HAPI slots with premium AD cards, what are the options for 2 channel output of DSD? Are there in fact any, given that all other digital interfaces (ADAT AES) are pcm? Would it be necessary to have a separate AD card and swap them, or Is HORUS really the only viable way to approach this?

- Richard


Yes, well one cannot mix DSD in the box, one of its major workflow drawbacks. So you will need a symmetrical mixer in PMX to record individual channels and take the direct analog outputs from your premium cards to an external analog mixer for monitoring. Or you could work in DXD and use the HAPI's headphone out. Or as Kjetil has pointed out, you can route two channels at a time to the headphone outs and listen to them, but no mixing possible.

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:15
by rjuly
Many thanks for your responses. It looks like the HAPI would only be workable for an eight track DSD recording/repro setup. for more tracks the HORUS would be the way to go.
- Richard

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 01:18
by DJS
rjuly wrote:Many thanks for your responses. It looks like the HAPI would only be workable for an eight track DSD recording/repro setup. for more tracks the HORUS would be the way to go.
- Richard

I would not hesitate to use HAPI for a 16 ch DSD recording. Monitoring should be done with an external analog mixer anyway. When mastering, swap out the cards for the D/A.

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 01:08
by DJS
WatsonZion wrote:With the first post in your forum and I would like to ask about the possibilities for the use of Habi to do 16 track recording and mixing music. I think the core issue is that after all of the slots filled Hapi with a premium of cards, what are the options available for the production of the channel (2) of the Division for Sustainable Development? [url]Assignment writing service[/url]
There is in fact no, given that all other digital interfaces (ADAT AES) is PCM? It will be necessary to have a separate card m and swap them, or do you really Horus only way viable for this approach?


and to think some are worried about robots taking over the world. LOL.

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 03:30
by charlienyc
DJS wrote:and to think some are worried about robots taking over the world. LOL.


Perhaps Merging should create a subforum for spam.