HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!

HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Postby rjuly » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:13

Hello from Glasgow!

With my first post in your forum I would like to ask about the possibilities for using a HAPI to do 16 track music recording and mixing. I guess the nub of the issue is that, having filled both HAPI slots with premium AD cards, what are the options for 2 channel output of DSD? Are there in fact any, given that all other digital interfaces (ADAT AES) are pcm? Would it be necessary to have a separate AD card and swap them, or Is HORUS really the only viable way to approach this?

- Richard
rjuly
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:09

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Postby klaukholm » Tue Nov 08, 2016 17:30

The headphone output is DSD capable, though only DSD 64 and 128
klaukholm
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 00:36
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Postby DJS » Tue Nov 08, 2016 23:09

rjuly wrote:Hello from Glasgow!

With my first post in your forum I would like to ask about the possibilities for using a HAPI to do 16 track music recording and mixing. I guess the nub of the issue is that, having filled both HAPI slots with premium AD cards, what are the options for 2 channel output of DSD? Are there in fact any, given that all other digital interfaces (ADAT AES) are pcm? Would it be necessary to have a separate AD card and swap them, or Is HORUS really the only viable way to approach this?

- Richard


Yes, well one cannot mix DSD in the box, one of its major workflow drawbacks. So you will need a symmetrical mixer in PMX to record individual channels and take the direct analog outputs from your premium cards to an external analog mixer for monitoring. Or you could work in DXD and use the HAPI's headphone out. Or as Kjetil has pointed out, you can route two channels at a time to the headphone outs and listen to them, but no mixing possible.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia
DJS
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 05:26
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Postby rjuly » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:15

Many thanks for your responses. It looks like the HAPI would only be workable for an eight track DSD recording/repro setup. for more tracks the HORUS would be the way to go.
- Richard
rjuly
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:09

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Postby DJS » Sun Nov 13, 2016 01:18

rjuly wrote:Many thanks for your responses. It looks like the HAPI would only be workable for an eight track DSD recording/repro setup. for more tracks the HORUS would be the way to go.
- Richard

I would not hesitate to use HAPI for a 16 ch DSD recording. Monitoring should be done with an external analog mixer anyway. When mastering, swap out the cards for the D/A.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia
DJS
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 05:26
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Postby DJS » Sat Feb 04, 2017 01:08

WatsonZion wrote:With the first post in your forum and I would like to ask about the possibilities for the use of Habi to do 16 track recording and mixing music. I think the core issue is that after all of the slots filled Hapi with a premium of cards, what are the options available for the production of the channel (2) of the Division for Sustainable Development? [url]Assignment writing service[/url]
There is in fact no, given that all other digital interfaces (ADAT AES) is PCM? It will be necessary to have a separate card m and swap them, or do you really Horus only way viable for this approach?


and to think some are worried about robots taking over the world. LOL.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia
DJS
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 05:26
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: HAPI and 16 channel DSD

Postby charlienyc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 03:30

DJS wrote:and to think some are worried about robots taking over the world. LOL.


Perhaps Merging should create a subforum for spam.
2x MassCore v10.1.4 Win7/64 i5-3450
3x Horus w/3 AD8p, 6 AD8, 1 DA8, 2 DA8p
Native v10.1.4 Win7/64 Pro i7 HP
Native v10.1.4 Win10 Bootcamp Mac Mini i5-4278U 2.6GHz
Native V8.1 Win7/32 Xeon 3520 2.67GHz RME HDSP MADI
Native V8.1 Win7/32 ThinkPad R61
User avatar
charlienyc
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 22:40
Location: chicago, il


Return to Pyramix General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest