Parallel Compression

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
Stephen Rinker

Parallel Compression

Postby Stephen Rinker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 09:46

Does anyone have any easy, practical way of using parallel compression on Pyramix, in this instance on the main master output. I,m sure there's more than one way but I want the good old fashioned way of two faders one uncompressed the other compressed mixed to taste. Clearly you can route a channel strip to two separate mix busses and compress one of those but how do you route both to the same output. After all the years of using pyramix its a mystery why you cant double route something.

Thank You !!!

fl

Re: Parallel Compression

Postby fl » Wed Sep 21, 2016 14:36

There are several compressor plug-ins which can adjust their output balance between the unaffected and the compressed signal, but if you're not using one of those, set up your mixer to have two Aux. Groups (use the Aux. Groups, so that their output can be routed to a Mix Bus).

If you're using a version of Pyramix from before version 10, or if you'd prefer to use the "Legacy" mixer paradigm in version 10, install two Sub-Groups instead. Install the Compressor plug-in in one of them. From there, it's just a matter of sending all strips to the two Groups instead of directly to the Mix Bus.

Delay compensation should take care of any processing delays, but if you're not satisfied with that, just install your plug-in in the other Aux. (or Sub) Group, leaving it at a 1/1 ratio.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

Stephen Rinker

Postby Stephen Rinker » Thu Sep 22, 2016 14:20

Thanks a lot

Its version 10 so ill try a couple of your suggestions

best

Stephen

fl

Postby fl » Thu Sep 22, 2016 17:24

Pyramix's delay compensation has always worked flawlessly for me, whenever I've set up a parallel compression mixer like this, so no need for the second plug-in install. Since you have version 10, be sure to use the Aux. Groups for your two legs - the simple Aux. sends won't automatically route themselves to the mix bus, as they're designed for things like headphone feeds.
• Pyramix Native

DJS

Postby DJS » Sat Sep 24, 2016 01:19

Don't you only need one aux group, the one for the reverb send and return. This is then mixed with the main mix bus.
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

fl

Postby fl » Sat Sep 24, 2016 14:04

David - yes, that's true, but Stephen said he'd like to have the "good old fashioned" arrangement of having two faders to control his parallel compression, hence the use of two Aux. Groups in my suggestion.
• Pyramix Native