Set/Recall memory location

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
RickTarrant

Set/Recall memory location

Postby RickTarrant » Thu Aug 18, 2016 19:57

So I'm still trying to wean myself off of TANGO and get back to the keyboard. One of the features I use a lot is the "locator" buttons where you hold the locaton botton down and it stores that location for later recall. So I know it is in PYRAMIX via Oasis but I can't seem to find it in the pull down menus.
It's probably right in front of me, but I can't see it.
Any tips are appreciated.

rick
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 11.0.6 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220

fl

Re: Set/Recall memory location

Postby fl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 20:18

There are, of course, a number of ways to do this, but perhaps the easiest would be to use Markers (note: Markers, not Marks). The default key to drop a Marker at the Cursor location is the 9 on the Numeric keypad, but that can be switched to anything you'd like (I use the "/", 'cause it's so handy). Once you move on from here, it's easy to get back - just go to the Markers Tab, and double click on the one you'd like. Alternately, you can go to the Markers menu and use the "Nudge" commands to jump the cursor to the previous/next Marker. These commands are ready to have keyboard shortcuts assigned to them as well, but there is also the option to make their Buttons visible in one of the upper Toolbars.

A completely different way to go about this is to go to the View > Zoom menu, where you can store a Zoom and Location memory based on the cursor's current location and zoom amount. You can store up to five of these, and then be able to Recall the same location and zoom amount through the same menu. As before, these commands can have buttons and/or keyboard shortcuts assigned to them. More info starting on page 28-667 in the manual.

Markers will be stored with each Project's file, so they don't persist from one Project to another. I think the same holds true for the View/Zoom stuff but, I'm afraid my experience is limited there. You might have to store these settings in a Library - either for the specific Project, or as a Global Library, to get them to be available after a reboot.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

RickTarrant

Postby RickTarrant » Thu Aug 18, 2016 22:19

Thanks Frank,

Looks like the ZOOM preset only stores the amount of Zoom not the timeline location.

But I did discover a feature I didn't know was there "set focus to the timeline". That'll come in handy when using libraries, etc.
!
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 11.0.6 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220

fl

Postby fl » Fri Aug 19, 2016 16:03

RickTarrant wrote:Looks like the ZOOM preset only stores the amount of Zoom not the timeline location.

Yes, upon closer reading of the manual, it appears that the cursor location is only recovered when accessing the "Previous" Zoom setting, not the Zoom Presets. Ah well...

I now think the better answer would be to suggest "Workspaces" as a way of replacing your Tango's memory functions. When you've got a view set up the way you'd like to recover, go to the Workspaces Menu and "Save" to an unused Workspace Memory Location (there are ten). This can also be accessed by enabling the presence of the Workspaces Tab (via the View > Editor Tabs menu). You can leave it as a Tab, or cause it to become a free floating Window, whichever gives you the easiest access. Once defined, a particular Workspace can be recalled by the appropriate Menu command, or by the Keyboard Shortcut "Shift+(memory location number)". The Tab or Window is probably the better way to go when saving, since a Workspace can hold a lot more settings than just the cursor location and view - have a look in the Manual on page 27-648 to 649.

But I did discover a feature I didn't know was there "set focus to the timeline". That'll come in handy when using libraries, etc.

Oh yeah. I can't tell you the number of times...

Sure, you can click on the Timeline at any time to re-establish the focus, but sometimes you'd rather not click as it will de-select a selection you've just finished setting up carefully. I've even enabled the Toolbar Button for that command, so that if I am tempted to click, it will be on something which does what I actually want to do.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
• Pyramix Native
• Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7) - Bootcamp 5.1.5621 - Win7 Pro SP1 64
• HP 7100 Mini-tower - Win10 Pro 64 1809
• RME Fireface 800 ASIO driver 3.125 or ASIO4All 2.13

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Fri Aug 19, 2016 23:59

For navigation I assigned the keyboard number keys 1-0 to Set Marker 1 through Set Marker 10 in Keyboard Shortcuts>Markers. This way I can set a bunch of markers that I can get back to with a single keystroke.
To go to the marker I've assigned the Shift+1 through Shift+0 to the corresponding "Go To Marker" in Keyboard Shortcuts>Markers. This makes working on a single timeline very quick.
These markers are also completely independent of the "Add Marker to Cursor" (Num9)
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com

Perfect Record

Postby Perfect Record » Wed Aug 24, 2016 05:07

Click on the word Marks on the far left of the marks timeline and a list of markers will appear. Just scroll to the one you want to navigate to. Easy!

RickTarrant

Postby RickTarrant » Fri Aug 26, 2016 18:05

Thanks for all your help.

Mark, that was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize it was there all along.
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 11.0.6 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220