Editing Question - create a clip

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
RickTarrant

Editing Question - create a clip

Postby RickTarrant » Thu Aug 04, 2016 16:33

You know how you can create a clip by selecting and clicking on that selection...
is there a command that will do that same operation without a mouse click?
I want to create a macro that will "select the area between marks > create a clip > normalize"

creating the clip without clicking is eluding me.

thanks
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 11.0.6 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220

RickTarrant

Re: Editing Question - create a clip

Postby RickTarrant » Thu Aug 04, 2016 17:25

so it looks like I've answered my own question. :oops:
it's the SPLIT command under the EDIT menu.
In other programs I use SPLIT is a simple single CUT, so i missed it.

I would like to see a section of this forum for showing and sharing MACROS.
It would be interesting to see how others workflow is enhanced by their MACROS

BTW - my renewed interest in creating macros is that I need to wean myself away from my TANGO. I have most of my editing operations assigned to buttons under my left hand on the TANGO. But she is showing signs of dying on me and there is no longer support from SmartAV. That plus, it turns out, the tiny buttons on the desk are exacerbating my carpal tunnel in my left hand. Maybe going back to a normal keyboard will help. That's what i get for using a DAW for 30 years. Some days I miss reel to reel and a grease pencil. :)
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 11.0.6 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220

fl

Postby fl » Fri Aug 05, 2016 15:48

Assuming you're comfortable using the existing Keyboard Shortcuts to place the Marks (Num 7 and 8), it would occasionally be nice if there were already a menu command to select between 'em. However, it's easy to create such a Macro:

Cursor and Marks : Cursor to Mark In
Selection : Set Selection Start to Cursor
Cursor and Marks : Cursor to Mark Out
Selection : Set Selection End to Cursor

Save this as "Select Between Marks". You could assign it a Keyboard shortcut, however, it's not necessary as you can incorporate this Macro into yet another Macro:

Macros : Select Between Marks
Edit : Split

..., which could also have a Keyboard Shortcut associated with it. Having this arrangement means that you can sometimes select a region but not Split it in every case.

Substitute "Project : Render" for "Edit : Split" in the above, and you'll have the opportunity to create a new copy of your selection, with its own file name and/or any processing you'd like to apply.

I suppose that you could also use the Gates instead of the Marks, since there is already a menu command to "Select between Gates" (in the Selection Menu), but Gates aren't always available, as you may not always have Source or Destination Track Groups set up.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.5/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.124

RickTarrant

Postby RickTarrant » Mon Aug 08, 2016 21:26

Thanks Frank

As with any software of this depth there are myriad ways of accomplishing a task. It's nice to see how others get things done.

Also there is a menu command under TRACKS > "Select all clips between marks"

In an attempt to emulate my TANGO buttons I have assigned:

1 > IN MARK
2> OUT MARK
3> Select clips between marks
4> DELETE & Ripple
5> DELETE

I suppose an external macro keypad might work as well.
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 11.0.6 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220

fl

Postby fl » Tue Aug 09, 2016 15:02

RickTarrant wrote:Also there is a menu command under TRACKS > "Select all clips between marks"

Oops, missed it. Of course, where else would you look for a command to Select a portion of a Clip or Clips, involving the Marks, other than under the Tracks menu...

In an attempt to emulate my TANGO buttons I have assigned:
1 > IN MARK
2> OUT MARK
3> Select clips between marks
4> DELETE & Ripple
5> DELETE

The one thing to watch out for when creating Keyboard Shortcuts, is that you don't make any which conflict with existing (and hard coded) commands. If those numbers you've associated with those commands are on the Numeric Keyboard, they will conflict with Transport commands, so you may find your cursor skittering away from you unexpectedly. It's usually best to have at least one Modifier Key (Shift, Cmd., Alt., Ctl.) incorporated into any Keyboard Shortcut you create, and it can also be instructive to examine the "Commands Reference.pdf" for any potential conflicts. Once you've made a few Keyboard Shortcuts, you can export them in a formatted .pdf file which incorporates your shortcuts into the Commands Reference. Very handy for offline reading.

I like your idea of having a dedicated Thread where people can exchange things like Macros and Keyboard Shortcuts - I tried to start one myself a couple of years ago, and I suppose the most logical place would be in the Pyramix Tips and Tricks forum.

I'm still trying to come up with the macro which will pack up all the equipment, load it into the car, drive to the venue, do the session (neatly dividing all the recordings into Takes and creating a set of AACs for the client), re-packing the gear, loading out and driving it all back home, after picking up the cheque.
Frank Lockwood, Toronto, ON, Canada
http://LockwoodARS.com
Native 11.1.5/Native Music 9.1.10
Win7 Pro SP1 64/32
Bootcamp 5.1.5621/4.0.4033
Mac Mini 6.2 (Quadcore i7)/MacBook Pro 3.1 (Core2Duo)
RME Fireface 800, driver version 3.124

RickTarrant

Postby RickTarrant » Wed Aug 10, 2016 06:16

where else would you look???

Indeed

Be careful what you wish for. Your macro could make our jobs obsolete!
--
Rick Tarrant
--
Windows 10 Pro 64
Pyramix 11.0.6 [native]
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
CPU i7 6700K
RAM 32GB DDR4
GPU AMD Radeon R5 220