monitoring DAC when all slots are used on hapi

Welcome to the Pyramix MassCore discussion forum.
Forum rules
The Merging Technologies team cannot be held responsible for support queries logged on the public forums. If a support query is logged here and only here, it may not be found and dealt with by the appropriate team.
To ensure that your support issue or bug report is dealt with properly and in good time, please use the link to the tech support request form page on the Merging website.
Make sure to let us know what version you are using when you send your mail. THANKS!
MRWOO

monitoring DAC when all slots are used on hapi

Postby MRWOO » Sun Jul 24, 2016 01:31

Hello merging family. I have the hapi converter and want to add 8 more channels of A/D. What DAC can I use to monitor with, since I won't be able to use the hapi DAC,when all of the slots are utilized ? I was wondering what would be the best choice based on the pyramix platform?
I know that some of you do location recording, and some are recording in the studio. I'm looking for some suggestions.
Thank you all in advance.

DJS

Re: monitoring DAC when all slots are used on hapi

Postby DJS » Sun Jul 24, 2016 13:57

Hi MrWoo,

Well the headphone out is a two channel DAC that operates independently of the cards, so it is the obvious choice. Other than that you have the "secondary audio device" in PMX which I never got to work well, stuttering and too much latency to be useful. Then there are the third party devices like the Ravenna Virtual Sound Card http://ravenna.alcnetworx.com/infos-dow ... loads.html.

Also, this sort of thing would be good in Ravenna.
https://us.focusrite.com/ethernet-audio ... rednet-am2
David Spearritt
Classical and Acoustic Music, BNE, Australia

charlienyc

Postby charlienyc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 17:36

There's also DirectOut Technologies' Producer.com with the Ravenna option. It has everything but might be overkill if you only seek a way to monitor. http://www.directout.eu/en/products/producer.com.html
2x MassCore v11.0.6 Win7/64 i5-3450
3x Horus for 72 In / 24 out in PCM
Native V11 Win10/64 Xeon 3520 2.67GHz RME HDSP MADI
Native V11 Win10/64 ThinkPad P51 i7-7700HQ w/Hapi, iFi iDSD nano
Native V11 Win10 Bootcamp Mac Mini i5-4278U

MRWOO

Postby MRWOO » Sun Jul 24, 2016 20:29

Hey Dave, when you record at high resolution I thought that the headphone output didn't function? Am I correct?

Julian Gough

Postby Julian Gough » Mon Jul 25, 2016 16:51

MRWOO wrote:Hey Dave, when you record at high resolution I thought that the headphone output didn't function? Am I correct?

Hi Mr Woo,

I was going to suggest the Merging option card ADA8 which gives you 8 outputs as well as 8 inputs, but that only goes up to 192KHz. If you want to go up to DSD then that is a different problem.

Obviously it depends on your budget these as suggestions won't be cheap, but you could network another Hapi or replace your current Hapi with a Horus.

The Hapi also comes with 8 AES outputs (4 x stereo) perhaps that might give you a few options, but once again, I'm not sure if they work at high resolution, my world is strictly 48KHz.

Julian

MRWOO

Postby MRWOO » Mon Jul 25, 2016 23:33

Hey Julian,
I'm going to purchase the premium cards. I am just trying to figure out a simple solution for monitoring. The hapi allows me to do 11.2, and I just love the space it gives the recordings. Maybe it is time to upgrade to the Horus.. The hapi is compact, it doesn't take up a lot of space, thats just one of the reasons I like it so much.

mpdonahue

Postby mpdonahue » Tue Jul 26, 2016 01:27

MRWOO wrote:Hey Julian,
I'm going to purchase the premium cards. I am just trying to figure out a simple solution for monitoring. The hapi allows me to do 11.2, and I just love the space it gives the recordings. Maybe it is time to upgrade to the Horus.. The hapi is compact, it doesn't take up a lot of space, thats just one of the reasons I like it so much.

If it were me I would buy another Hapi rather than a Horus. Use it with your existing stage Hapi in the controlroom usiing the DA card you already have for monitoring. In the US, a Hapi is only a couple hundred more than the AD cards...
All the best,
-mark
Mark Donahue
Soundmirror, Inc.
Boston, MA
mark@soundmirror.com
www.soundmirror.com